Is GameSalad Right For Me?

mtsarykmtsaryk Fitness CrackNew YorkMember Posts: 4

Hello,

So my question to you is whether or not this program is right for me? I'm not exactly familiar with any programming languages, aside from maybe HTML (lol), but I'm a college student and a PC gamer who's eager to learn. The problem I am having is deciding what platform will support my needs. I don't want to spend a large sum of money on something that will teach me something (I'm sure) but won't yield me results I want. So what do I want? I'm looking to create a fitness application, for android, apple, whatever else possible. However, I want this fitness application to be in a form of a game. More specifically, an online game like trivia crack where you get to play with random players from all over the world, in a challenge like setting. Players will get to compete with several other players, given a time-frame, where the goal is to reach higher calorie burn than the other players. Then players will get a chance win rewards in type of trophies, maybe even clothes for their avatar, and other cool things. Anyways, back to the question, will this platform allow me to do something like this. Obtaining heart rate from their Fitbit or Apple Watch ( or other devices that sync with phone's health XXX). Ultimately acquire data from other sources and using it in game.

I'm sure this is not unheard of, but it's something I really would like to create.

Thank you :)

Comments

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

How essential is Fitbit and Apple Watch support? Can you ship a viable product without it?

• mtsarykmtsaryk Fitness Crack New YorkMember Posts: 4

Essentially Fitbit and Apple Watch is the ground work for this application/game that I'm looking to create. I need to be able to collect data like hear rate to estimate calorie burn of players (which I do not know how I am going to do that just yet). The game itself is based around players' calorie burn, the player with the highest calorie burn wins. Everything else like the avatar and rewards is extras. It is a health/fitness game.

edited January 2016

I don't think there's anything already available as a template for either Fitbit or Apple Watch. If I'm reading correctly, Fitbit already operates off cloud sync rather than device pairing, so maybe there's a way to do it with Game Salad's network behaviours. Apple Watch seems to directly interact with the paired phone, so the data may never hit http where Game Salad can get at it easily.

But, that's just one opinion. Don't take it as a final verdict.

Question, can't the game obtain it's data from the phone itself? The phone is paired with a hear rate monitor (whether it's Apple Watch or Fitbit) and is constantly synced with data from these hear rate monitors (at least my Apple Watch is). So say the player starts the match, he/she has their heart rate monitor device on that is paired with their phone. As the match timer starts (say it's 10 minutes), game will collect data from their phone, that is collecting data from their heart rate monitor, and calculates it in to calories burned based on player's BIO-metrics (which could also be synced from their health kit application(s)). Basically the data is collected from the phone's health kit app, because these preset apps naturally collect this data from heart rate monitors like Apple Watch or Fitbit. It just collects it within a certain time frame.

That's what I'm not sure about. I can't think off-hand how to point Game Salad at the HealthKit to get the data from it. The only thing I know of to tell Game Salad to use an external resource are basically the various network behaviours.

Ahhh I see...
    Well in any case would I be able to come up with my own code (or find it on the net) to accomplish this task? I guess part of me is thinking that GameSalad comes with preset commands and you are restricted to just them, or minor editing of/to them. Also what code language does GameSalad use? Would I be able to add a different language within the same application/game?

Again, thank you for your constant support. :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@mtsaryk said:
    Ahhh I see...
    Well in any case would I be able to come up with my own code (or find it on the net) to accomplish this task? I guess part of me is thinking that GameSalad comes with preset commands and you are restricted to just them, or minor editing of/to them. Also what code language does GameSalad use? Would I be able to add a different language within the same application/game?

Again, thank you for your constant support. :)

It sounds like you need to learn to code. Gamesalad is not going to give you access to those functions.