Push Notifications. A different kind of question.

RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot.Member Posts: 956
edited January 2016 in Community Tutorials

Scenario: You download an app and it ask you if you want to enable push notifications. You are then asked to insert your mobile phone number. Would you sign up for SMS push notifications or would you be weary of giving out your number?

Comments

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956

It's unanimous!

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Why would I give an app that's already on my phone my phone number?

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

I agree, with mike here. I get enough spam without encouraging more. It's no from me.

• MoikMoik Member, PRO Posts: 257

For every company that only uses my contact information as described, there are five to eight who use it early and often based on any excused from the terms of service. Plus, the more places my information is out there, the more chances there are it could be obtained in a database hack.

The value I'd be gaining from the SMS would need to be very high. I wouldn't be using it for casual non-essentials like a game. If I would use it, it would be for time-sensitive savings, like a bid-napper or something.

• RabidParrotRabidParrot Formally RabidParrot. Member Posts: 956

Some really great points guys! I was looking into Amazon SNS which I have worked with before for SMS notifications. I thought there might might be a work around. Judging by the votes I wouldn't see this beneficial at all so in-the-trash it goes!

PlaysTogether aside maybe GameSalad can use Amazons SNS in-app notifications platform to allow users to push notifications in the future...

Again, thank you everyone for your feedback!