Curious Revenue Question?

Hey GS,

I am just curious, how do you guys make money through making games on GS? Ads can only get you so far?

Thanks,
G4L

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

The games I've published make next to nothing on their own, I have a full time job outside of game development so it is not meant to be a primary income source for me, it's a hobby. A couple years ago I did a detailed blog post about one of my games performance in the Apple App Store if you want to check it out.

http://www.jamie-cross.net/?p=648#.VqfBTVMrIUE

• Games4lifeGames4life Member, PRO Posts: 279

@jamie_c said:
    The games I've published make next to nothing on their own, I have a full time job outside of game development so it is not meant to be a primary income source for me, it's a hobby. A couple years ago I did a detailed blog post about one of my games performance in the Apple App Store if you want to check it out.

http://www.jamie-cross.net/?p=648#.VqfBTVMrIUE

Cool, nice article! Thanks!

Anyone that does use GS as one of their main source of income care to share their techniques?

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited January 2016
  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@Games4life, you might have noticed from the post that I made more from direct sales vs ads placed in the game. That still holds true today. I prefer the direct sales model but admittedly that is partly because I hate IAPs with a passion as a player.

@BigDave, thanks. I enjoy making them and playing them so that is good with me. I've had positive feedback but obviously its in small numbers, lol! If I ever decided to make a go of it full time I'd have to put lots and lots more time into marketing and since I do that for my day job, I have a hard time doing it for fun as a hobby at the moment! :) You continue to be an inspiration though. It seems like you've had some measurable successes and that is nothing but fantastic news for small developers like us! :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited January 2016

@Games4life said:
    Hey GS,

I am just curious, how do you guys make money through making games on GS? Ads can only get you so far?

Thanks,
    G4L

If you want to do it for a living go to college and get an education and go to work for one of the big firms. There is no real money in indie development. As a computer science major you can go lateral in the computer field if gaming doesn't work out. This is the route my son is taking. Coding skills can take you in many good paying directions.

• Games4lifeGames4life Member, PRO Posts: 279

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@Games4life said:
    Hey GS,

Thanks,
    G4L

If you want to do it for a living go to college and get an education and go to work for one of the big firms. There is no real money in indie development. As a computer science major you can go lateral in the computer field if gaming doesn't work out. This is the route my son is taking. Coding skills can take you in many good paying directions.

@jamie_c said:
    @Games4life, you might have noticed from the post that I made more from direct sales vs ads placed in the game. That still holds true today. I prefer the direct sales model but admittedly that is partly because I hate IAPs with a passion as a player.

@BigDave, thanks. I enjoy making them and playing them so that is good with me. I've had positive feedback but obviously its in small numbers, lol! If I ever decided to make a go of it full time I'd have to put lots and lots more time into marketing and since I do that for my day job, I have a hard time doing it for fun as a hobby at the moment! :) You continue to be an inspiration though. It seems like you've had some measurable successes and that is nothing but fantastic news for small developers like us! :)

Thanks for your input guys really helps! Thanks!