Gamesalad memory getting full after 2 minutes = Bad game performance

TobyToby Member Posts: 478
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Been trying a few tests on Gamesalad using the GS viewer and it looks like GS is running out of memory. I've built a really basic engine for a car game. I'm finding that after about 2 minutes the frame rates steadily drop-off until you get only 2 frames per second performance out of GS Viewer. Seeing the same issue in a few of my other games too.

I'm probably not the first to point out the issue, but I can't really release a game until I'm confident in it's sustained performance after 2 minutes of play.

Releasing a game is possible.... but the potential negative PR from a bad memory bug could be disastrous for a new game launch.

Resetting the game or scene does not help either.... :P memory is just getting full and not releasing.

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Yep - purging memory on scene change (and other memory issues) is my number one peev at the mo - it seriously limits how useful the software is!

As you say, releasing a game *is* still possible, but sorting this should fix any issues across the board.

Which is A. Good. Thing.

Any word from our lovely GameSalad overlords as to when this will be fixed?

Cheers,

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    hmm... GS is Beta so i have no problem with the low performance at the moment, while i am never the less a little nervous too...

I think the released games via GS are ok, but they are the most simplistic games i have seen so far for the iphone... (no offence intended)

So my association with "game creation for the rest of us" was that we will be able to create games in the style of very successful and simple 2D-games like "doodle jump" or "parachute panic" what for me are some kinds of "standard-games"... without any stottering or heavy loading times...

Yesterday by random i have read a thread in the torque 2D forum, started by someone who has payed 799 bucks for the torque-engine...he has learned torque-script and was complaining that his game crawls at 2 fps... (and torque is not beta!)

The answer he got was that its pretty normal for a phone to have this low performance and when he has expected to get something fast he should better create his whole game in C++ instead via scripting because a lot of games are simply not possible via scripting... And he got this answer more then once... (wouldn't it has been nice if someone has told him before he has spent so much time ;)

So since yesterday i have much more respect to GendaiGames, because its obviously pretty hard to increase performance and i am getting more and more nervous too if GendaiGames will be able to increase this in the next few month?

It would be nice to know if GendaiGames wants GS to be a real competitor to for example Unity (in points like possible gamecomplexity and gamespeed) or if Gamesalad is intended to be a gamecreation-tool for very simple games ... and when phones are getting faster the complexity will rise?

I am simply expecting that i will be able to create games like the above mentioned with GS, and it would be very helpfull to know if GS is intended to create those games in the near future... or if this will be a goal for GS 2.0?

all the best

SDMG
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Any word from GS would be nice if any of the moderators are seeing this.

I too have a game that I was hoping to release by Halloween, but it will have to wait, hoping it sees a Xmas release and this bug gets fixed.

I too have a few games in the lineup to be released... trying to stay on the positive side and think, well I can tweak and perfect my game even more until this bug is fixed :)

Any word or somewhat of a rough estimate on when this bug might be fixed would be nice though! This is definitely something that should be at the very TOP of the list of things to fix :)
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Does Reset Level or Reset game reset the memory, or will it still track it, and eventually crash as normal?