The most needed new feature - come vote for it!

ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Forget Google Play services. Forget tvOS. Who needs joints. There is one (or, two) things that need your votes far more!

Right now if you want to play a sound of spawn an actor you need to select it from the dropdown list. This makes it impossible to change the actor to be spawned/sound to be played on the fly. If you have, for example, different music that you want to play depending on the current hour of the day, you need 24 rules and 24 play musics/sounds. If you want to spawn a different actor depending on the time of day (it's 2am, my creativity for examples is limited) you need 24 spawn actors in 24 rules.

Vote for these feature requests and end this!

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=259
http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=205

GameSalad are really churning through the feature requests right now, and votes really do matter!

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Done and done! Oh how this would make life easier!

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited February 2016

Voted for both. It's a huge hassle having all those rules just to play a sound. Especially for sounds that are most likely labeled "hit1" "hit2" "hit3" etc.

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112

Voted for both. I´m quite new to GS (one game), and I very soon ran into frustration about this lack of programming flexibility with sound/spawning; the same goes for font functions (size, colour).

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191
    edited February 2016

This would be awesome and make life 1000 times better.

Currently working on a project that will require a ton of rules for each actor to spawn. Kind of stinks.

I have voted for this!

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

OK -- Voted for both.

• KnightStarKnightStar Member Posts: 162

Voted for both..

edited February 2016

The Play Sound Through the Expression Editor request is now #2! Directly beneath Custom Fonts, which we already know if coming! So, we could say, this is now the most requested feature!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited February 2016

@Braydon_SFX said:
    The Play Sound Through the Expression Editor request is now #2! Directly beneath Custom Fonts, which we already know if coming! So, we could say, this is now the most requested feature!

Below Google Play Services though, which I think probably is more deserving in the grand scheme. I'm hoping that the spawn/play sound can be tackled together, though, they're presumably quite similar, as it's spawning that I'm really after! Great work guys - WE CAN DO IT!

• DeadpoolBro13DeadpoolBro13 Member Posts: 82

I would like a straightforward jump behavior. I want it to be all ready and set up so it is simple to make a character jump.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Done. Had already voted for 205, just added 259.

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited February 2016

@DeadpoolBro13 said:
    I would like a straightforward jump behavior. I want it to be all ready and set up so it is simple to make a character jump.

There's no such thing as a behavior like that because there are too many variables. How big is your character? Can they double jump? Is there gravity? Are they standing in something that makes their jumping shallower? Are they bouncing off of something? Can you turn left or right when you jump? The list goes on and on. You can't expect gamesalad to figure out every kind of videogame that could be imagined and then make a button that makes that thing happen. Because of that, they've instead given you all the tools to make it happen yourself.

Jumping is a pretty simple thing to accomplish in gamesalad, there are lots of tutorials than can help you on something like that. This one is very straightforward and a lot of people use it in their first games:

@owen_dennis said:

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

There's no such thing as a behavior like that because there are too many variables. How big is your character? Can they double jump? Is there gravity? Are they standing in something that makes their jumping shallower? Are they bouncing off of something? Can you turn left or right when you jump? The list goes on and on. You can't expect gamesalad to figure out every kind of videogame that could be imagined and then make a button that makes that thing happen. Because of that, they've instead given you all the tools to make it happen yourself.

Jumping is a pretty simple thing to accomplish in gamesalad, there are lots of tutorials than can help you on something like that. This one is very straightforward and a lot of people use it in their first games:

I already checked out Jamie's and it was no help.

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

I don't want to steer this thread any further from the intended topic, but I always cringe at comments like that. It takes hours to do video tutorials. Those of us who do these tutorials do it for free to help out the community. So while this video may not show you how to do exactly what you want, surely there are some bits you can extract and work off of. Just sayin'.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I don't want to steer this thread any further from the intended topic, but I always cringe at comments like that. It takes hours to do video tutorials. Those of us who do these tutorials do it for free to help out the community. So while this video may not show you how to do exactly what you want, surely there are some bits you can extract and work off of. Just sayin'.

Or at least indicate what you wanted what wasn't in it.

@Braydon_SFX said:

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

Okay, man. here's the deal. One single person saying a video didn't help doesn't mean the video's creator wasted time. Thousands of people have seen it and at least 3/4 of them must've found it helpful. it just wasn't what I was looking for.

@Armelline said:

@Braydon_SFX said:

Yep.

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

Okay, man. here's the deal. One single person saying a video didn't help doesn't mean the video's creator wasted time. Thousands of people have seen it and at least 3/4 of them must've found it helpful. it just wasn't what I was looking for.

I know. But perhaps it was just the way you posted that ticked me off a bit. You didn't even mention what you needed that was not in Jamie's video.

Nothing against you - I'm just putting my thoughts out there. I'd be happy to help with your problem but need to know more. >

@Braydon_SFX said:

@Armelline said:

@Braydon_SFX said:

Yep.

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

I know. But perhaps it was just the way you posted that ticked me off a bit. You didn't even mention what you needed that was not in Jamie's video.

Nothing against you - I'm just putting my thoughts out there. I'd be happy to help with your problem but need to know more. >

OOkaay. But anyway, how do I update GSCREATOR

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited February 2016

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

OOkaay. But anyway, how do I update GSCREATOR

I think @owen_dennis answered that already before you asked it, " there are lots of tutorials that can help you on something like that." I'd suggest looking for some.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

It just seems you want someone to do the work for you, instead of trying to learn and understand the principles of how GS works.

@pHghost said:

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

It just seems you want someone to do the work for you, instead of trying to learn and understand the principles of how GS works.

Can we just leave that topic. I used Jamie's endless runner tutorial and it worked!

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

@Armelline I wonder if collisions could be worked into this? So we can store a collision as a variable. This way we don't have to have a rule for everything we collide with.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited February 2016

@crestwoodgames said:
    @Armelline I wonder if collisions could be worked into this? So we can store a collision as a variable. This way we don't have to have a rule for everything we collide with.

You will always need rules. Rules are the fundamental tool for logic branches. GS is build around conditional logic. In fact all code is conditional logic. Plus you can simply make a tag and group colliable things into them and address them as a tag group.

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

where is the reward video?

@Clock said:
    where is the reward video?

They announced at the meet-up on Thursday that video reward ads will be coming with 1.25.

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308

:o OMG i have been waiting for this badly. Thanks for the info