Which screen size to use?

Game ChefGame Chef Member Posts: 20

Hi,
I'm hell confused about screen sizes. I use inkscape to create backgrounds and characters but I'm not sure what size i should be making them, especially backgrounds. I read somewhere it is best to make the backgrounds the size for an iPad because it is easier to scale the image down when converting game to different devices. How do i know what size to make them?

Best Answer

• SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,822
    Accepted Answer

@Game Chef said:
    i plan on one day publishing games but I'm still getting the hang of it for now, what size should i make the backgrounds though? that wouldn't distort the image too much if i have to stretch it a tiny bit or reduce it in game salad if i were to use iPad to iOS universal.

An iPad screen is 2048 x 1536 pixels.

Answers

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Game Chef said:
    How do i know what size to make them?

What device are you targeting with your app ?

• Game ChefGame Chef Member Posts: 20

i was thinking iPhone 6, is that the most popular?

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840
    edited February 2016

Most popular is iOS universal so you can play on any iOS device.

A lot of people will say iPad size for that.

I was confused about that too at first. No size is perfect. What do you intend to do with you game? Just playing around or planning on publishing to App Store?

• Game ChefGame Chef Member Posts: 20

i plan on one day publishing games but I'm still getting the hang of it for now, what size should i make the backgrounds though? that wouldn't distort the image too much if i have to stretch it a tiny bit or reduce it in game salad if i were to use iPad to iOS universal.