Getting back to grips with GS after a while off

So.. I started with GameSalad 6 years ago, and it's been probably 2 years or so since I ended up on other projects, with no time (and no macbook).

Recently, I hackintoshed my i7 dell laptop, and decided to delve back in.
Some things came back easily, some other stuff, I was more rusty with.

So this week, I decided to get back to making some simple/recreations to get my skills back up.

This is what I did over the past couple of days :

Comments

• AdamgoproAdamgopro Member Posts: 310

it's my first day back too after a long time break @Sparkyidr, things become rusty after a while, i recently opened up a game i worked on for a few months and I'm lost with it theres code everywhere.

But after recently placing colour switch this is a very good copy. it looks as smooth as the original, would you consider sharing this template?

kind regards,

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033

Hey Adam. Glad you like the look of it.

To be honest. It's up for sale in the marketplace right now (I won't spam the link here, as it's already got a post in the correct forum), mainly as a little experiment to gauge demand for that kind of thing these days.

I used to make a little extra pocket money selling my old templates (Pseudo 3D, Transitions, etc) directly just from a link in my youtube vids. I thought if the demand is still there, I'll get some of those older templates updated to the newer engine/screen sizes etc.

I'm glad you think it looks as smooth as the original game though. Over the years I've seen many people come and go, and a lot of people whinging that GameSalad can't to this...or can't to that. In reality, if you put your mind to it (and work around a few of it's kinks) GS is a very capable little engine...If a little frustrating at times.

The Color Swap template doesn't really have anything too complex in there. Some simple rules for setting and checking colors against each other using text attributes. And some simple object rotations using custom collisions, and center of mass attribute settings. << The latter needing some rudimentary simple maths (no formulas or anything used in the whole thing).

I'm currently getting my head around an update to it, to make an endless mode (like the original game). Shouldn't be too hard, just need a few more actors, and a couple of tables to handle what gets spawned and where. Nothing out of the reach of GS.

The original Color Swap was made in Unity by the way. So the fact that I/You can mock up a relatively close facsimile in GameSalad is pretty cool.

I might fire up the old "Mitten R&D" posts that I used to do. I saw a video last night of something I have been thinking of doing for ages, but @BBEnk beat me to it :

^^^That....is pretty awesome.
    I had always assumed you could do something like that, but not had the time to look into it. If the C64, and Spectrum could do rudimentary 3D, then I'm sure GS/Box2D can do some similar stuff ;)

Anyways....have waffled on for far too long.
    Catch y'all

Sparky.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@Sparkyidr -- that color switch template looks great! Welcome back after a two year break.

• claycollins33claycollins33 Member, PRO Posts: 8

Just starting out with GS if it's not already apparent but I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts Sparkyidr. Does seem like the possibilities with GS are much broader than what I initially understood which does make things that much sweeter for me. Welcome back!

edited February 2016

I wrongly assumed it was unity, as I was playing Tomb of the Mask at the same time...which I think was, and my brain mixed up the 2 when I wrote that stupidly long post.

What did he make it in (if you can tell us?) It's a super frustrating, yet rewarding game. I love it. (Also...Tomb of the Mask is super cool if you haven't tried that)

@claycollins33 said:
    Welcome back!

Cheers.. feels good to be back.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331
    edited February 2016

@Sparkyidr said:
    What did he make it in (if you can tell us?)

BuildBox is what I heard. You've proved how doable it is in GameSalad, though!

edited February 2016

oooo... buildbox looks nice....quite an expensive sub price though.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

@Sparkyidr said:
    oooo... buildbox looks nice....quite an expensive sub price though.

Very very limited if you try to do anything it's not directly designed to do.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited February 2016
  • Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93

Yes it was in Buildbox but later handed over to eyebox games(who probably use unity). They made most of the ketchapp games and now this. So only the idea was created in Buildbox, but the rest of the cool features/levels were added by other engine. Buildbox is VERY limited.

But in my opinion, the idea and gameplay is just ok. It reached the top because of great marketing.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Looking at BB. The actual editor part id v nice. zoomable, grid snaps etc.. but yeah, the toolset of the 1.x strand seems a little limited in places.
    Their version 2.0 looks nice though. But their sub model pricing seems very hight to me.

aaaanyways.....