It's finally here|| Pong King!

DeadpoolBro13DeadpoolBro13 Member Posts: 82
edited February 2016 in Announce Your Game!

Pong King is an addicting pong-style game with a creative twist: you can freely move to the left, but there is an invisible barrier blocking you from going all the way to the right! Try it out now on GameSalad Arcade! http://arcade.gamesalad.com/games/135914 Coming soon to Apple devices!

Comments

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

You might want to consider adding some other elements, bumpers, coins, different backgrounds etc. Also, it is really slow, does it speed up at some point?

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited February 2016

Any particular reason why you put an invisible block on the right? Anyone that didn't know you did it intentionally would think you programmed it incorrectly and would think it's broken.

And like @BazookaTime said, you definitely need more in it! At the moment it doesn't have enough in it for people to want to keep it on their device after initially installing it. When I'm creating games like this I like to download dozens of different versions that other people have made and creatively pinch bits from each to make an even better version. And no I don't mean pinching assets.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited February 2016

Agree with what the others have said, the game needs more work, and more added to it before you can really consider it a finished game that's ready for publishing to devices.

Even more so with the chosen name for the game. "King" implies that the product is in the top tier, that it's a highly polished product, or that it offers something that excels. Currently the name really doesn't match the product. I can understand that your probably eager and excited to get products published, but your going at it way too soon, and need to definately spend more time on the game.

As pointed out, I'm not sure that the invisible barrier on the right is really something you want to be claiming as a creative twist. It doesn't really add anything to the gameplay, other than looking/feeling like its a bug or unintended issue. In your introduction text you claim it to be "addicting"...but is it really? Is there enough in the game to keep players coming back for more, so that you can really claim it to be addictive?

So yup, not meaning to sound negative or dissuade your efforts. You should keep at it. But the game as it stands is too simple and basic to be considered anywhere near finished, or to be considering publishing it to devices/stores, and I would think twice about your wording when promoting the game. If you oversell it, and the game doesn't match what your saying, you'll just end up with lots of negative, and possibly nasty reviews and feedback.

• DeadpoolBro13DeadpoolBro13 Member Posts: 82

@BazookaTime said:
    You might want to consider adding some other elements, bumpers, coins, different backgrounds etc. Also, it is really slow, does it speed up at some point?

@KevinCross said:
    Any particular reason why you put an invisible block on the right? Anyone that didn't know you did it intentionally would think you programmed it incorrectly and would think it's broken.

And like @BazookaTime said, you definitely need more in it! At the moment it doesn't have enough in it for people to want to keep it on their device after initially installing it. When I'm creating games like this I like to download dozens of different versions that other people have made and creatively pinch bits from each to make an even better version. And no I don't mean pinching assets.

@Chunkypixels said:
    Agree with what the others have said, the game needs more work, and more added to it before you can really consider it a finished game that's ready for publishing to devices.

Even more so with the chosen name for the game. "King" implies that the product is in the top tier, that it's a highly polished product, or that it offers something that excels. Currently the name really doesn't match the product. I can understand that your probably eager and excited to get products published, but your going at it way too soon, and need to definately spend more time on the game.

As pointed out, I'm not sure that the invisible barrier on the right is really something you want to be claiming as a creative twist. It doesn't really add anything to the gameplay, other than looking/feeling like its a bug or unintended issue. In your introduction text you claim it to be "addicting"...but is it really? Is there enough in the game to keep players coming back for more, so that you can really claim it to be addictive?

So yup, not meaning to sound negative or dissuade your efforts. You should keep at it. But the game as it stands is too simple and basic to be considered anywhere near finished, or to be considering publishing it to devices/stores, and I would think twice about your wording when promoting the game. If you oversell it, and the game doesn't match what your saying, you'll just end up with lots of negative, and possibly nasty reviews and feedback.

I know you are trying to help but I would like positive comments and positive feedback telling me the pros.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@DeadpoolBro13 said:
    I know you are trying to help but I would like positive comments and positive feedback telling me the pros.

Sometimes you should accept constructive criticism as positive feedback.

But if not... nice one on getting the ball to bounce off the bat! Keep at it.

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278
    edited February 2016

Well negative comments actually tells u true feedback!!

• 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367

I really like the games name. ;)

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2016

Good Idea, but I got stuck on the left and kept getting lots of score.

@KevinCross said:

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

Sometimes you should accept constructive criticism as positive feedback.

But if not... nice one on getting the ball to bounce off the bat! Keep at it.

yah i was kinda sleepy when i made that comment! I'll work on the game!

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    Good Idea, but I got stuck on the left and kept getting lots of score.

haha. have fun!

@8bitninja said:
    I really like the games name. ;)

thanks!

@Nabbo said:
    Well negative comments actually tells u true feedback!!

yah

@BazookaTime said:

i will try speed

I want to thank @BazookaTime for giving me the idea for this! He said I should add "different backgrounds" and in this update you can choose between the good old black, a very bright cyan, and the one and only pink magenta!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

There's no need to create a new thread for an update. Just add a new post here or edit an existing one (within 24 hours).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    There's no need to create a new thread for an update. Just add a new post here or edit an existing one (within 24 hours).

ok

New update Version 0.1 ! Thanks, @BazookaTime for the background select

• firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211

I like it!

My current high score is 8.

I'm still trying to decide whether I like Cyan or Magenta better. It's a close call!

I'm a little older, so Pong King really reminds me of the classics like Breakout and Arkanoid - but without all of the irritating blocks and sound effects. It allows you to focus on the core gameplay, which I think is great.

It's like a modern version with vector-like graphics and flat design.

I think the invisible block is a nice touch, and not mentioning anything about it in the game itself is a fun surprise for the player. It makes you do a double-take when you think the mouse isn't working properly.

One suggestion might be to make the invisible block get bigger every time the ball hits the ceiling? So when the player's score gets up into the 5 or 6 range, the difficulty would get INSANE!

One nitpick I have, and maybe this could be addressed in a sequel or whatever, would be to make the Game Over! text the same color orange as the Pong King logo. It would really tie the whole experience together for me. The whole circle of life thing.

Anyway, I agree: Addicting and addictive!

Joe

P.S. The oval-shaped ball is an elegant solution to getting some more real estate on a vertical game.

P.P.S. Another thought I had would be to slow the ball waaaaay down, so the player can really get immersed in the mechanics of the game and feel like they are on an epic journey. Also, it might help me get past 10 points!

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Cool, just stick with it. Anything you can add or polish up will just make it more appealing when you release it.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@firemaplegames said:
    I like it!

I'm still trying to decide whether I like Cyan or Magenta better. It's a close call!

I'm a little older, so Pong King really reminds me of the classics like Breakout and Arkanoid - but without all of the irritating blocks and sound effects. It allows you to focus on the core gameplay, which I think is great.

I think the invisible block is a nice touch, and not mentioning anything about it in the game itself is a fun surprise for the player. It makes you do a double-take when you think the mouse isn't working properly.

One suggestion might be to make the invisible block get bigger every time the ball hits the ceiling? So when the player's score gets up into the 5 or 6 range, the difficulty would get INSANE!

One nitpick I have, and maybe this could be addressed in a sequel or whatever, would be to make the Game Over! text the same color orange as the Pong King logo. It would really tie the whole experience together for me. The whole circle of life thing.

Joe

P.S. The oval-shaped ball is an elegant solution to getting some more real estate on a vertical game.

P.P.S. Another thought I had would be to slow the ball waaaaay down, so the player can really get immersed in the mechanics of the game and feel like they are on an epic journey. Also, it might help me get past 10 points!

Haha ;)

• mshuraih mshuraih Member, PRO Posts: 179

hey man .. here is a game with similar gameplay that is actually addictive i have been playing with for couple weeks .. take a look at it and use it to improve at ur game ..
    add some enemies or hero to bounce at .. get rid of the invisible thing on the right plz

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brick-breaker-hero!/id1004678927?mt=8

@firemaplegames said:
    I like it!

Joe

Thank you so much! I will conder those things.

@mshuraih said:
    hey man .. here is a game with similar gameplay that is actually addictive i have been playing with for couple weeks .. take a look at it and use it to improve at ur game ..
    add some enemies or hero to bounce at .. get rid of the invisible thing on the right plz

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brick-breaker-hero!/id1004678927?mt=8

Thanks but I am already adding more.

@BazookaTime said:
    Cool, just stick with it. Anything you can add or polish up will just make it more appealing when you release it.

thx

I'm now losing for no reason. The invisible wall is making me lose. How do I break the invisible wal???????

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    I'm now losing for no reason. The invisible wall is making me lose. How do I break the invisible wal???????

You cannot. it is a challenge.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

@Terrellort_Gaming said:

This is so zen. o:)

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    How do I break the invisible Wall?

The invisible wall breaks YOU.

@tatiang said:

@DeadpoolBro13 said:

@Terrellort_Gaming said:

This is so zen. o:)

haha

@Sparkyidr said:

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    How do I break the invisible Wall?

The invisible wall breaks YOU.

true that

Deadpool Bro when is it releasing on iphone? And how much oney will you put on marketing?

• http_gamesaladhttp_gamesalad Member Posts: 1,340
    edited February 2016

Hey! Most of the people here are trying to help you. Don't take it as they're trying to insult you the whole Gamesalad community is very helpfully. They are just trying to point out what the game needs. I played the game myself and the game needs a lot of improvement everywhere. I understand what you're trying to do and I congratulate you at putting an effort into making games but I won't sit here and say how amazing your game is when it needs work everywhere. I like the idea but the graphics and coding need some improvement. The physics of the ball are okay in terms of it bouncing of the walls. What if you ask your family and friends to play the game and ask them where it needs improvement? That's where I usually start then I come and ask on the forums when I think the game is presentable. Just to let you know the iTunes and Google Play community is not as nice as the Gamesalad community. They would have torn your game apart and gave it really poor ratings. I'm not saying any of this to discrouage you but I'm trying to give you the reality of apps. Not every app and idea makes it. BUT I will say there is NEVER a stupid idea for game. No one knows for sure what the next big game will be. For example look at Flappy Bird ... I kick myself for not making a game like that. It's so simple and straightforward that it never ran through my mind. Run your ideas with your family and friends and see which ones they like the best. You need proof of concept and once you get proof of concept I suggest it is safe to dive head in first and see if your game can be the next big thing. I wish you best of luck honestly! Keep going and growing your knowledge. Don't let anyone tell you you can't make it ... prove them wrong. AND when you make your first couple of millions just write me a check for $250K hahahaha ;)

BTW trust me everyone started out like you. It isn't easy but it's worth it once you see all those downloads. There is no secret to making a great game all you can do is just try and learn from your mistakes and get opinions on your games whenever and however you can. Trust me.

@http_gamesalad said:
    Hey! Most of the people here are trying to help you. Don't take it as they're trying to insult you the whole Gamesalad community is very helpfully. They are just trying to point out what the game needs. I played the game myself and the game needs a lot of improvement everywhere. I understand what you're trying to do and I congratulate you at putting an effort into making games but I won't sit here and say how amazing your game is when it needs work everywhere. I like the idea but the graphics and coding need some improvement. The physics of the ball are okay in terms of it bouncing of the walls. What if you ask your family and friends to play the game and ask them where it needs improvement? That's where I usually start then I come and ask on the forums when I think the game is presentable. Just to let you know the iTunes and Google Play community is not as nice as the Gamesalad community. They would have torn your game apart and gave it really poor ratings. I'm not saying any of this to discrouage you but I'm trying to give you the reality of apps. Not every app and idea makes it. BUT I will say there is NEVER a stupid idea for game. No one knows for sure what the next big game will be. For example look at Flappy Bird ... I kick myself for not making a game like that. It's so simple and straightforward that it never ran through my mind. Run your ideas with your family and friends and see which ones they like the best. You need proof of concept and once you get proof of concept I suggest it is safe to dive head in first and see if your game can be the next big thing. I wish you best of luck honestly! Keep going and growing your knowledge. Don't let anyone tell you you can't make it ... prove them wrong. AND when you make your first couple of millions just write me a check for $250K hahahaha ;)

BTW trust me everyone started out like you. It isn't easy but it's worth it once you see all those downloads. There is no secret to making a great game all you can do is just try and learn from your mistakes and get opinions on your games whenever and however you can. Trust me.

Thanks! You didn't have to take up all that time typing. haha. I will try improving!

@Terrellort_Gaming said:
    Deadpool Bro when is it releasing on iphone? And how much money will you put on marketing?

In the next few months, it will definitely be there and ready for actual reviews and ratings. I am planning to make the game about $2.99 if it is worth that by the time I'm ready to upload. if not, I will make it free or $0.99.