Pixels are in fashion & should be worn with pride..

smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

If i stretch a small pixel guy, how can i stop his pixels from getting all blurry?

Comments

• RCT_GamesRCT_Games Member, PRO Posts: 97

Could try making the image larger and then using a pixel effect to give it that look? Gimp has a decent one if your working on mac.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@smurfted said:
    If i stretch a small pixel guy, how can i stop his pixels from getting all blurry?

Enlarge the image externally to GameSalad, make sure the interpolation/scaling is set to nearest neighbour.

• Terrellort_GamingTerrellort_Gaming Member Posts: 93

create vector. and enlarge in illustrator. and put in photoshop. and save on png file. magic will happen.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

So there is no nearest neighbour style behaviour in game salad?

This must lead to much larger file sizes..

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284

@smurfted said:

Yes, unfortunately there's still no option for that in GameSalad.

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

Theres already a Feature request for this in the bug tracker... go vote for it. The more votes, the more visible it becomes as a requested and needed feature.

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1095

voted..

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@smurfted said:

Yes and no ! I'm not sure what compression GS uses at the publishing stage, but the files on disk are unlikely to be much different because of the nature of 8-bit artwork and the way the lossless compression that PNG uses works.

For example a 10 x 10 pixel image (so a total of 100 pixels) using the standard lossless PNG compression would come to ~15kb, so a pretty tiny file . . . . but if you were to scale the image up (using nearest neighbour) to 200 x 200 pixels (so we've jumped from 100 pixels to 40 thousand pixels) the file would still be ~15kb* . . . even scaling it up to 2000 x 2000 pixels shouldn't have much of an effect on the file size, even though we've gone from a meagre 100 pixels total to 4 million pixels - as we aren't really adding any new information to the image, we are just changing the values of where the colours start and end.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

EDIT

*just did a quick test and got 15kb for the 10x10 pixel image and 16kb for the 200x200 pixel image, so no meaningful difference, and even scaling the image up to 2,000 x 2,000 pixels only increased the file size to 32kb.

Awesome experiment there fella..