Access device compass

smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

Another question. Can gamesalad access a devices compass?

Comments

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

No spam from me fella. Shame about the compass though, i can think of several uses for that..

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@smurfted said:
    No spam from me fella. Shame about the compass though, i can think of several uses for that..

You can access the accelerometer if that's any use.

Thats very good, but access to the compass would offer some excellent possibilities..

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@smurfted said:
    Thats very good, but access to the compass would offer some excellent possibilities..

A lot of things would offer excellent possibilities but we need things specific to game building first.

I did mean in a game making sense. Rotating your phone around you could move the backdrop.. Combined with the accelerometer you could do fake vr!

Rotating the phone and background can be acomplished using the accelerometer. I have a game that does this.

• ChechesoftChechesoft Member, PRO Posts: 171
    edited March 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Rotating the phone and background can be acomplished using the accelerometer. I have a game that does this.

No it does not, not in the way smurfted is implying, as in a virtual reality app. Accelerometer dont work that way.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

I had a good idea for an app but it needed the ability to rotate the phone whilst flat on a table and for the actor to stay in place. The accelerometer will not do that but access to the compass would. So I would love to see access to the compass added at some point.
    Also to break through in the app stores I think we need to be thinking outside of the box a lot more instead of emulating what has already been done.

edited March 2016

I'm new to gamesalad but I have many ideas.. Very few of them in or even near a box..

How would knowing true north help create VR? It you know the starting point and what is happening on the X, Y and Z axis? I could see making a request for the gyroscope for that but not the compass.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

Hell! Lets have the gyroscope and the compass! ;)