Note Dancer (looking for suggestions)

Hi, I've been using GameSalad for the past two weeks, and have liked many parts of it. I recently made a game called Note Dancer, I don't plan to release it anywhere or really do anything with it; that said, I was wondering if some of you guys could download my game and fire it up, maybe help me solve some bugs. One of the worse of these bugs is the absolutely abysmal performance on most systems, I am stumped as to why its so choppy. I'm open to any suggestions and critique!

Thanks!

(Download it here)
http://we.tl/JVHi79fzP8

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

On a Mac, the folder will have to be renamed to add ".gameproj" to the end of the name.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

One thing I noticed is that in your Note actor, you have a Timer set to every random(0.5,1) seconds with two rules inside. Those rules will trigger whenever they are true even without a timer. So the timer is extra AND it's running almost constantly. Remove it and just have the rules by themselves. The timer is also going to cause the velocity to change every 0.5 (or 1 or however many) seconds. Do you really need that? Should it just change once or actually constrain the value constantly? If just once, then there's definitely no need for a timer.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited March 2016

When I want to address performance, I start by deleting actors from the scene one by one and testing at each step (be sure to save a backup copy of the file first!). When the lag disappears, I know there's a good chance it was caused by the last actor I deleted.

• maxmedvedmaxmedved Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the help tatiang! I appreciate it