My own game isn't compatible with my device?

Last night I posted my new game on Google Play Store, however I noticed that even though Developer Console said it had been published, I couldn't find it in the store from my phone. So I tried typing the link for the game and it finally showed my game, but it says my device "isn't compatible with this version" even though I specified in the developer console that I wanted no devices to be excluded and all countries to have access to my game. I'm testing on a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active running Android 5.0, so it's not exactly an outdated or unpopular device. I tried downloading it from my brother's tablet and it works just fine, even though his tablet is way older than my phone. I am publishing with Gamesalad for Windows version 0.13.40, and I have set the minimum SDK level to 10. Now if I send myself the .apk file, I can download it and install the app just fine, I just can't download it from the Play Store, and I can also download another game that I published some months ago just fine. Any ideas on how to fix this? Has anyone ever had this same problem?

Comments

• bernardo.chuecosbernardo.chuecos Member, PRO Posts: 75

I've seen in some forums that sometimes app size could cause this problem. My game is over 78 MB, could that be the problem?

@bernardo.chuecos said:
    I've seen in some forums that sometimes app size could cause this problem. My game is over 78 MB, could that be the problem?

Update: I reduced the size as much as I could and Nothing. Plus other games which are about 110 MB in the store show up just fine and I can install them, so it can't be the size of the app. Any ideas?

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

Update: I reduced the size as much as I could and Nothing. Plus other games which are about 110 MB in the store show up just fine and I can install them, so it can't be the size of the app. Any ideas?

Sooo actually I stand corrected :D turns out I wasn't reducing enough, apparently many devices will be incompatible with android apps bigger than 50MB. Hopefully gamesalad can soon introduce expansion files so that we can get around this like the other developers!

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

Sooo actually I stand corrected :D turns out I wasn't reducing enough, apparently many devices will be incompatible with android apps bigger than 50MB. Hopefully gamesalad can soon introduce expansion files so that we can get around this like the other developers!

The maximum file size that can be uploaded to google play is now 100mb.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

This is based on cellphone download rates and is done by cellphone providers. Even iPhones can't download apps over 50 my via cell. If you switch to wifi you should be able to download it.

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

Well I read that even though that has changed some cellphones are still not able to download apps over 50 MB, specially older generation phones. I guess that explains why I could download it in a tablet but not in my phone

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

Well I read that even though that has changed some cellphones are still not able to download apps over 50 MB, specially older generation phones. I guess that explains why I could download it in a tablet but not in my phone

This is why research before building a game is a must.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

@bernardo.chuecos said:

This is based on cellphone download rates and is done by cellphone providers. Even iPhones can't download apps over 50 my via cell. If you switch to wifi you should be able to download it.

That's odd... I tried on wifi and it still wouldn't let me. It didn't tell me that it was too big though, it just told me that it wasn't compatible.

Maybe you are running an older version of android? Also have you updated your android SDK before you published? It's good to make sure it's current before you publish an app for distribution.

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Maybe you are running an older version of android? Also have you updated your android SDK before you published? It's good to make sure it's current before you publish an app for distribution.

Well I am running android 5.0, I have been trying to update to the newest version for my phone 5.1.1 but every time I try to update it the update installation fails for some reason. And yes I made sure I downloaded the latest SDK before I published but still got the same error