Load data from a random table

Wonder MaruWonder Maru Member, PRO Posts: 98

Hi guys,
I looked up on the forum and in the manual but I didn't find this.
Is it possible to have more tables and, at the beginning of the game, pick a random one and use data from that? Changing every time you play basically.
I want to create a series of level sets, but they can 't be totally random, I need to create these sets of levels in a particular way, but I also don't want the player to immediately figure out there's a pattern they can learn to proceed in the game.
Imagine a room with 4 doors, just one of them it's safe to go through, I want the sequence of safe doors to be read from a table and I want to use 10/20/... different tables so that the game is "different" every time.

I tried by creating a game attribute (text, not sure about this) and randomly assigning a table to it, but I guess you can't assign a table name as a text value and then use that attribute when loading data from the table. It doesn't work.

down here: game.table1 and game.table2 are my tables names

Is it possible to do this? Any idea?

Thanks!

Wonder Maru: casual games for casual people. www.wondermaru.com

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

You'd have two options really. The first is essentially what you said - but instead of change attribute you'd have a "working" table, and you'd copy the randomly chosen table into that "working" table. That gives you a random one each time.

The second is to make one big table, ensuring each level is a consistent number of rows of that table. For example, 10 rows per level, with 10 levels. Then pick a random number from 1 to 10 (e.g. 5), and use rows 50-60.

The first is easier, the second is potentially more efficient.

• Wonder MaruWonder Maru Member, PRO Posts: 98

@Armelline said:
    You'd have two options really. The first is essentially what you said - but instead of change attribute you'd have a "working" table, and you'd copy the randomly chosen table into that "working" table. That gives you a random one each time.

The second is to make one big table, ensuring each level is a consistent number of rows of that table. For example, 10 rows per level, with 10 levels. Then pick a random number from 1 to 10 (e.g. 5), and use rows 50-60.

Ah that's great!
    The second solution is really smart, I think I'm gonna try that one first!

Thanks for your help!

just for > @Armelline said:

Just to let you know: I used the second method you suggested and it works :)

Thank you so much!

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@Wonder Maru said:

Thank you so much!

Excellent! Really glad it worked and great job, that can't have been entirely simple!

@Armelline said:

@Wonder Maru said:

Thank you so much!

Excellent! Really glad it worked and great job, that can't have been entirely simple!

sorry for the late reply.
    Thanks!
    Yes, it gave me a couple of headaches but it's been REALLY useful to learn how tables in GS work. Thank you once again!