Rayburst: High Speed Action Side Scroller - coming soon! {w/trailer}

FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
edited April 2016 in Announce Your Game!

Trailer:

Rayburst is a high-speed, action oriented side scroller where the levels are usually battlefields you maneuver around, fighting against incredibly challenging enemies. Pick from 4 unique characters, each with their own vastly differentiated style of play as you take on hordes of ravenous Pseudo-Dragons.

Banner image:

Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=658022904

To be released on PC, with a lighter version on android and iOS{with touchscreen controls as well as gamepad support}.

Edit: I made the trailer in Photoshop CS5, took me all of sunday and part of monday to make. Used the best and most modern footage I had of the gameplay.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Good luck on Steam !

(Pseudo-Dragons, good name for a band :smile: )

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited April 2016

Thanks, Socks! Yeah, definitely makes a good band name. Also, the reason for them being pseudo-dragons is that one of the playable characters is a real dragon, but I didn't have the time and resources to put him in the game, but he'll be in the seque though to lay down the hurt on these fake-wannabe-posers.

• frdfrd Member Posts: 191

Good luck with it!

edited April 2016

@frd Thanks!

Just updated with a new build last night, which is linked on the steam page as well:
    http://www.rayburst.net/125testing/RB07/index.html

Damage now works as it's meant to, the display configuration is returned to it's original setting{this make the game very different in the way it's played}, and so a signal appears on screen as a red faded circle towards the direction of enemies, I wanted it to be constrained on the screen's edge towards the enemies direction if their offscreen(something @socks could do with his forbidden sorcery and arcane knowledge :smiley: ), but I couldn't think of a efficient way to do it that wouldn't cause a lag spike so I made it appear within the scene itself.

Modified the knight characters element, so new power graphics for him. He was meant to have this from the concepts of two years ago.

It's a bit work in progress, and regarding the damage fix, so weak enemies go down in a single hit or two of a basic attack. Before, they would only get reduced damage due to a wrong order of calculations.

Although the order is fixed, now I gotta fix some menu stuff that got caught in it. Since it's the expanded demo, that means even the shop is available, which isn't on the website demo.

Editing the controls into the original post as well.

Edit2: Forgot you can't edit posts after 24 hours, lol. Anyway, here are the controls, this game was meant to have depth, for example, Special + Normal Attack will unleash a new technique for some characters.

These are the controls:(in asdw, hjkl, and uiop groups)
    ASDW = Movement
    H = Special Attack
    J= Normal Attack
    K= Signature Movement (Propulsion, hovering, and flying.)
    L= Power Up (All the others) / Reload (Phreit Nor's gun)
    U = Angle Control / Tech Powerup {Grafto}
    I = SKILL switch {Gotta be over lv.1, Max level is 6 for 7 skills per character at lv6. You buy books from the turtle under Adventure>Shop)
    O = Energy recooperation {The yellow bar, also works on the red bar, which is the equivalent of acid build up in your muscles)
    P = Zoom in / out
    Spacebar = Inventory where you use gems.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Hey looking good :) wish you the best with it !

edited April 2016

@Franto said:
    Just updated with a new build last night, which is linked on the steam page as well

Looking great ! :)

@Franto said:
    a signal appears on screen as a red faded circle towards the direction of enemies, I wanted it to be constrained on the screen's edge towards the enemies direction if their offscreen(something @socks could do with his forbidden sorcery and arcane knowledge :smiley: ), but I couldn't think of a efficient way to do it that wouldn't cause a lag spike so I made it appear within the scene itself.

You could do this with a couple of constrains like this (I've used iPad landscape for my numbers - and am assuming the camera is moving through a larger scene):

Constrain X to:

min(max(600*cos(vector2angle(enemy's X-(384+camera origin Y),enemy's Y-(512+camera origin X)))+512+camera origin X,camera origin X),camera origin X+1024)

Constrain Y to:

min(max(600*sin(vector2angle(enemy's X-(384+camera origin Y),enemy's Y-(512+camera origin X)))+384+camera origin Y,camera origin Y),camera origin Y+768)

edited April 2016

@icebox Thank you! Hope to make a good side-scroller.

@socks Thank you, I learned a lot about the dark art of constrains from the mystic scrolls your left around the forum dungeons. :smiley:

Ah yes, of course, camera origin! I was using device>screen like some kind of plebeian! Much appreciated and thank you again. I'm gonna give it a shot now.

EDIT: Or later, possibly tonight, hopefully.

@Franto said:
    I'm gonna give it a shot now.

EDIT: Or later, possibly tonight, hopefully.

Actually a simpler solution might be to just force the faded red circle to constrain itself to the enemy, but don't allow it outside of the bounds of the camera . . .

Constrain X to:

max(min(enemy's X, camera origin X +1024), camera origin X )

Constrain Y to:

max(min(enemy's Y, camera origin Y +768), camera origin Y )

@Socks Thanks, another viable solution. I'll give it a shot once I can. Right now, the way the red circles work is that the enemy actor fires an invisible projectile every 2 seconds. This projectile accelerates towards the x,y global attributes of the player.

An attribute the projectile contains is magnitude(selfx-playerx,selfy-playery). The magnitude attribute is labeled range, and when that range is less than 45% of the display size width, the red circle actor spawns, which only has an alpha interpolating to 0 and a destory actor behaviors.

It's lightweight, but primitive since the my system still has flaws. Hopefully, it will look cleaner once I implement it.

At least from my lesser understing, either solution will require a table. I do have an old table system I temporarily used in an older build that tracked enemy x,y as well as hp, but I blundered it pretty bad and put it away. Hopefully this time, I can get it to work properly :D (by cleaning out the table and remaking it when all enemies in the level are dead but before the new group starts.)Since I was letting it build up cause weird things like an enemy being hit but a another, nearby, fellow mook dying int heir place, lol.