RossmanBros Next Game - WIP - Get Me Outta Here

Comments

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

Here is a look at our weapon select system. I thought I would share something I did here with the rest of the community as it may spark some ideas for your project. I really wanted to have multiple weapons in the game. But was dreading redoing every single character animation frame for every weapon. So I found a cool system using GS's new ability to track the frame you are on in animation.
    I made some animations of the main character doing all his movements with no arms or gun. Then I just make an actor of the guns with arms and constrain it in front of him. Tracking the frame that his on I can make the gun and arms up or down a couple pixels to match the movement of his shoulders. I'm really pleased with how it looks. If you look you can see that the main weapon has more detail in the animations, but the others look nice as well and this made it possible to have many weapons.

I also went back and used this feature with the cows shooting animation. If I have the actor spawn bullets on the exact frames that the shots are being made it looks very smooth. I really think there is a lot of ways that this feature can help in timing of things and with objects that you make out of multiple actors.

• supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454

flawless! Excited to give them all a try. This is a great example of making your game as efficient as possible. Really impressed with how professional it's looking so far, shows how powerful and relatively easy GS really is

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2016

Looking great as usual !! :) B)

The word-spacing on your subheading ("Each weapon has its own . . . ") is pretty tough going ! I had to scan through it slowly a few times to work out what it said.

@supafly129 said:
    flawless! Excited to give them all a try. This is a great example of making your game as efficient as possible. Really impressed with how professional it's looking so far, shows how powerful and relatively easy GS really is

Thanks! Yep definitely wouldn't be making games this quickly and simply if it weren't for GS. Do hope once they finish up some of these changes for education that they will dive back into making it a competitive tool. A lot of the devs on here could be putting out amazing things on steam, especially without the mobile hardware limitations.

@Socks said:

The word-spacing on your subheading ("Each weapon has its own . . . ") is pretty tough going ! I had to scan through it slowly a few times to work out what it said.

Thanks Socks. I had noticed that about that font. With you noticing it as well I better go ahead and change it. I've found handful of other great and license free pixel fonts since that one.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited August 2016

nice and great idea to also include the arms / hands so you can have them position perfectly for each specific gun

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2016

@RossmanBrothersGames

@Socks said:

IHADTROUBLETOO! Just open up the word spacing and use upper and lowercase. ;)

The multipurpose animation is really great thinking. 5 :star:

@PhilipCC said:
    @RossmanBrothersGames

@Socks said:

IHADTROUBLETOO! Just open up the word spacing and use upper and lowercase. ;)

The multipurpose animation is really great thinking. 5 :star:

:D
    Unfortunately I'm using GS's display text, so I couldn't adjust that spacing, and that font only had caps. But no worries already got the font switched out and looks better, I also went in and switched a couple other places in the game where I was using that font.
    Thanks for catching that everyone!

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited August 2016

@RossmanBrothersGames In case you still want to use the old font ,Did you try doing it this way ..

"each\t".."weapon\t".."has\t"..etc

cause I noticed it gives more space when you type it using the expression editor, I dont know if its a bug or it is meant to work this way. here is an example , using normal space and "\t"

And your game is looking great :) thanks for sharing the progress gives motivation.

• frdfrd Member Posts: 191

That's a great use of the animation frame tracker, thanks for the tip!

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Unfortunately I'm using GS's display text, so I couldn't adjust that spacing, and that font only had caps.

Couldn't you just use two (or more) spaces instead of one between each word?

@Icebox said:
    And your game is looking great :) thanks for sharing the progress gives motivation.

thanks!

@frd said:
    That's a great use of the animation frame tracker, thanks for the tip!

Yeah I'm excited we have that feature now. I can already think of ways it would have helped in my previous game.

@jamie_c said:

Unfortunately I'm using GS's display text, so I couldn't adjust that spacing, and that font only had caps.

Couldn't you just use two (or more) spaces instead of one between each word?

for some reason I had this weird idea that GS just showed one space when you did that (not sure why, maybe a long time ago that was the case? or I just made it up). But after you mentioned that I tried it and you're right it works fine! I kinda like the font I switched to by now I may try both and see what I like better.

• ClockClock Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2016

I could tell if this is made by gamesalad... All you need is to look at the loading time. Instant loading could make this game a huge difference. That makes no difference from other professional games.

• @Clock said:
    I could tell if this is made by gamesalad... All you need is to look at the loading time. Instant loading could make this game a huge difference. That makes no difference from other professional games.

I've seen this as an issue in gamesalad games with a bunch of quick levels to play and load each new one or hit retry over and over, however our game is one level with 3-10 minute play sessions so it seems to be working fine so far.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone! We are getting real close to a beta where I would love feedback (especially on the difficulty progression) really hard for me to judge since I designed all the enemies and bosses so it is far easier for me.

Was super cool to get covered by Touch Arcade a while back and then yesterday was pumped to find this story on Pocket Gamer pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Get+Me+Outta+Here/news.asp?c=71214

• Hey guys here is another look at something I'm working on with some points on how I accomplished it in Gamesalad to hopefully spark some ideas for others wanting to do something similar.

Here is the rough draft of the boss intro cutscenes I'm working on:

I really wanted the bosses to have intro cutscenes that happened the game arena. However something I always wished Gamesalad had was the ability to pause actors (not scenes). Basically the ability to make an actor pause what it is doing and when unpaused it would pick up from where it left off so if it was falling or something it would pick up at the speed it was going in the direction and the animation frame and everything.

My work around for this was to have the game quickly move the camera to the center of the level and pause the game, then overlay the cutscene so it lines up perfect with the game scene. Obviously this has issues, the pause screen can't interact with the game scene and objects can only be on the front of the screen. However it works great for our game and what we wanted to accomplish! Maybe that idea can help some others do something similar.

• Hey GS community. It is screenshotsaturday so I thought I would give you a look at our second boss. With the completion of this we are nearing our beta testing. Hope everyone is doing well.

• kirafukirafu Member, PRO Posts: 314

wow, RossmanBrothersGames, I have to say, this game is very cool!! love it!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    Hey GS community. It is screenshotsaturday so I thought I would give you a look at our second boss. With the completion of this we are nearing our beta testing. Hope everyone is doing well.

The stuff of nightmares ! :) He looks scary.

• @kirafu said:
    wow, RossmanBrothersGames, I have to say, this game is very cool!! love it!

Thanks @kirafu

@Socks said:

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    Hey GS community. It is screenshotsaturday so I thought I would give you a look at our second boss. With the completion of this we are nearing our beta testing. Hope everyone is doing well.

The stuff of nightmares ! :) He looks scary.

Haha that's what we were hoping for! Had to do something crazy to follow the cow.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Looks awesome as usual ! :)

• frdfrd Member Posts: 191

Looks great! Maybe he should go in front of the lighting and shadows though?

• @Icebox thanks

@frd Yes! Good observation, it does look strange. I'll have to have him infront of the main character also, which I didn't want, but this should look better than the shadows affecting him.

• RetropixRetropix Member Posts: 10

Very nice! I love the art, gives me SNES vibes wich is awesome.

• @Retropix said:
    Very nice! I love the art, gives me SNES vibes wich is awesome.

Thanks! I was pretty impressed by the pixel art for your game that you posted, can't wait to see some gameplay!
    There is definitely a certain kind of old games that my brother's art is reminding me of. Somebody had mentioned Xenophobe which I hadn't played before but see the resemblance. Glad it is giving others vibes from that era of games as well.

• Hey everyone here is a look at some new and improved alien explode animations. It's always the little things that make the difference. Hope all is going well with everyone and your game development.

• YeezyHypeBeastYeezyHypeBeast Member Posts: 60

I always look forward to seeing you post more on the game! This is awesome! Keep it up

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@jamie_c said:
    I like the balloon pop effect, nice.

Yeah, splat! :D

• Thanks guys! Working hard to get the beta ready.

• YeezyHypeBeastYeezyHypeBeast Member Posts: 60

Please hurry!!! I told my family this is the game I've been working on! I told them I'm gonna give them a beta to test out soon. Please hurry so they still think I'm making it. Thanks