How are Images Ordered in Creator?

Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Hello,

I am coming across a very time consuming problem in relation to the ordering of Images in creator.

If I import an animation sequence:

Death_1
Death_2
Death_3
Death_4
Death_5

They remain in order.
Then I important another animation sequence:

Win_1
Win_2
Win_3
Win_4
Win_5

They remain in order.
Once I close GS, and then open it up again. Here is the order of the images.

Death_4
Win_1
Win_3
Death_1
Death_2
Win_5
Win_4
Death_3
Win_2
Death_5

So now images are all over the place in an illogical order.
Now up scale this to 100 image animation sequence and multiply that by 10, I am dealing with 1000 images that are all over the place. Going through trying to find each one in order takes hours.

Am I naming the images wrong or is there a way I can make sure that when GS closes, I can keep the order that images are imported?

Thanks,

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

They use to be in the order in which they were imported. However, with a recent build, it was changed to some other order. Not sure why but I didn't necessarily like the change.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

Everything should be in alphabetical order. If not can you show me a screen shot of what you're seeing?

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

Which version of creator was this added in? And do you know if it's fixed/back to original ordering in the upcoming build?

I've been busy working on art for a 3DS game, so not really used GS for the past couple of months, but know I've skipped the last two builds... So not had the pleasure of experiencing the image reordering issue. My projects tend to have lots of image sequences for animations, so I can see this particular issue being a problem for me, when I update creator to a newer build.

I'm assuming it's been flagged as a bug/issue... I can imagine it driving @Socks nuts, with the kind of animation sequences he usually works with...:)

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@GeorgeGS

Here is a screenshot of images being imported.

And here are the images once I close and re open that saved file. Does not seem to be in any order. Unless I am missing something.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2016

Witch version of GS are you using? Some versions started mixing up images randomly, but it was fixed later. My images are sorted alphabetically with 1.24.42.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

While we're on this subject... can we have the option to show the images as a list please? Same with actors. When the filenames are longer than like 4 characters (slight exaggeration) you can't see the full image name.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

"How are Images Ordered in Creator?"

By crazy.

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

@Socks said:
    "How are Images Ordered in Creator?"

By crazy.

I know him, he does all kinds of messed up stuff.

@Braydon_SFX said:
    I'm assuming it's been flagged as a bug/issue... I can imagine it driving @Socks nuts, with the kind of animation sequences he usually works with...:)

@Two.E said:
    Am I naming the images wrong or is there a way I can make sure that when GS closes, I can keep the order that images are imported?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, the images are no longer arranged in the order they were imported, they are now arranged alphabetically - your example (Death_4
    Win_1 Win_3 Death_1 . . etc) is a bug as far as I'm aware, but when it's fixed the order should be alphabetic.

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

For me it should be better to have in order you import them, maybe let the user choose?

@freneticz said:
    For me it should be better to have in order you import them, maybe let the user choose?

Apparently there's an underlying technical reason for the change from order-of-import to alphabetical ordering, it helps resolve the asset import/delete issues if I remember correctly.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

I would prefer to keep it alphabetical, at least then the ordering is under our control, by adding prefixes.

If it is by order of import then it would become a mess if you later need to add images.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@Socks said:

@Braydon_SFX said:

That's exactly what I thought you looked like. I told you that's how you'd end up if you did Trig/Math GameSalad Magic all day everyday. Shame.

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

If there's a bug here I'd love to fix it because as far as I know everything should be alphabetical in 1.24 except for the PlaySound/PlayMusic dropdowns which are fixed in 1.25. So, right now I'm a little confused about what version y'all are running where the lists are not sorted and if there's something I need to look at or not. If there's a sorting issue in 1.24 or 1.25 for those testing it then a bug in the bug database with details on how to reproduce the issue and a project that shows it in action will allow me to track it down and get it fixed.

The reason they need to be sorted rather than in the order you imported them is because of loading optimizations. The time to load a scene is much faster than it used to be, especially if there are images/sounds shared between the previous and next scenes because those assets aren't unloaded and then reloaded immediately after.

@Hopscotch said:
    That's exactly what I thought you looked like. I told you that's how you'd end up if you did Trig/Math GameSalad Magic all day everyday. Shame.

That's an old photo, before I started working out, I look a lot healthier these days:

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@GeorgeGS

Currently using 1.24.38.
    It would be great if it sorted images Alphabetical, which is what I was hoping for, but it its currently not the case.
    I will explore a bit more to see what is actually happening.
    Thanks for the response.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Socks said:

@Hopscotch said:
    That's exactly what ...

How did I get dragged into this?? I know what you look like, like Tony, without the panache. (His words)