Make 'sticker' actors stay between scenes without losing their placement in each

Hi @tatiang or anyone that can help,
I'm new to Gamesalad and found a sample template 'StickerbookV2' - you put this up on the thread 'saving spawned actors - best practices'. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to please help me by pointing out how I can duplicate the 'sticker placement' scene without the data from that scene copying onto following scenes?

I'm creating a rewards score system for myself as a classroom school teacher (no financial gain, just a fun resource to use in the classroom as apposed to handwriting it up on the board). I've attached screenshots of my basic idea. I have tried all different ways to do it but I keep getting to the same issue, when I duplicate scenes, data follows from previous scenes and I cant get things to save on their scene. As a rookie, I just cant figure out where I'm going wrong...

I basically need to have 24 scenes so each student has 1 each. Each scene is a different animal representing a different student. I have an index opening scene, where animal icons simply change the scene to assigned animal when clicked.

Currently in the first student (RewardsTime2), you'll see the white boxes with text 10, 5, 5. These populate from blank as they can only get a score of 0 or 10 (RewardsTime2).

The big blue and yellow boxes currently have the small values drop into them and change to corresponding number (as they can receive a score from 1-5). You'll then see a button back to index and a button that will progress onto a simple block game to gain extra points.

The issue in this version was the white boxed data wouldn't save between levels and the blue and yellow data would save across levels and continue to add up a total score.

That's when I came across your example and thought, this was exactly what I was trying to figure out in the first place, drop values into a line and then have them save between scenes so I can come and go between each student as the school day progresses.

So in your project, I tried to cut and paste the first sticker scene and create a 2nd, linked to an index page. The problem is that the stickers on both pages carry across to each other. I realise you're probably very busy and any help would be kindly appreciated if at all possible please?

Thank you,
Rosy

Best Answer

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,922
    Accepted Answer

If each scene is independent then each must have a set of independent variables. So you need to duplicate any external variables. This can be best done with a table. Haven't seen the demo but if it is table based then you can make duplicates of the main table and then change the code in each level to that table. You can't just duplicate a scene and have it be independent, it will still effect any game level attributes or tables.

Answers

• gs_griffith32gs_griffith32 Member, PRO Posts: 2

Thanks for your reply. I don't know how to use tables so I suppose if this is the only way I'll have to try again and figure them out. I've only been using gamesalad a couple of weeks...