Testing with testers

Village IdiotVillage Idiot Member, PRO Posts: 486

So I think that I might be almost ready to contemplate calling my first game finished – which I've been working on for a year now. My understanding is that it's a good idea to have people test it before launching. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I'm not sure how to make this happen.

Comments

• ZwireZwire Member, PRO Posts: 179

Thats something I wanna know too.

How can we test a finished game on a actual phone?

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Member, PRO Posts: 486

@Zwire start here:

I want to know how to have other people test it.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

iOS has test flight. Apple has a how to video on the site. You invite users to test your game by their email.

If your looking for testers I can look at it but I only have ios.

• ZwireZwire Member, PRO Posts: 179

@monkeyboy simian said:
    @Zwire start here:

I want to know how to have other people test it.

Thanks MonkeyBoy!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

There is a yellow sticky called thunderchilds publishing the video cover the process.

edited April 2016

Thanks @Lost_Oasis_Games
    I think I've been through the videos you mentioned. I guess I forgot about that part as I was focusing on the app signing and getting it onto my device bits.
    @Zwire – You're welcome and good luck.
    Thanks for the offer @gattoman – I might just take you up on your offer. I'll investigate the Apple thing first though as it sounds like it could be able to deliver multiple testers.

edited April 2016

So I just checked out the Apple thing in iTunes Connect. It appears that I've got to supply the actual testers – which makes sense. I was hoping that Apple might have a bunch of people ready for testing – nope. What does everyone here do? Do they invite their friends?

Sadly I'm kinda short on people that I would call friends – I would consider the people I know to be associates (a tiny tear is trickling down my cheek). None of my associates would be into the testing of my game.

anyone?

So what do the seasoned GS people do? Do you guys have a group of people that you use as testers? How many would you consider to be necessary?

I would guess most test themselves. Use friends, family. Maybe a trusted friend here.

That's what I do. I have found testing along the way is a better way to go. That way you can change things easier. Change direction instead of redoing the whole thing after its finished.

Lots of bug testing and tweaks at end.

I've been studying game design and gladly analyze any game. Devs just have to be mentally prepared for the good bad and ugly.
    If they are serious about making better games.

edited April 2016

Hey there again @gattoman – I guess it looks like I'll be doing what you said. So when the time comes (which I'm hoping is within the next week or so), you'll be willing still, yes? I'll have to invite you and maybe a few others that might be willing here – via iTunes Connect using the TestFlight App, yes? I'm surprised that no-one else has responded to this post – I would've thought that it was a common topic. Do you think it would be wrong to invite a few people from here that I've had communication with in the forums?

?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@monkeyboy simian said:
    Hey there again @gattoman – I guess it looks like I'll be doing what you said. So when the time comes (which I'm hoping is within the next week or so), you'll be willing still, yes? I'll have to invite you and maybe a few others that might be willing here – via iTunes Connect using the TestFlight App, yes? I'm surprised that no-one else has responded to this post – I would've thought that it was a common topic. Do you think it would be wrong to invite a few people from here that I've had communication with in the forums?

Here is my advice on testing. Yes testing with users is a must. Why? Because you know how your game works and to find bugs you need to put it in the hands of people who don't know how it is supposed to work.

Picking and evaluating feedback. Okay so there are several types of testers.

Other developers. These people are great at finding and defining your bugs. But also these people posses the same perspective as you. The see things from a development perspective. There are pros and cons to this. I evaluate developer feedback different from user feedback.

Family and friends these people will tell you positive things about your game. They will not risk offending you by being too honest. Take that into account.

Users these are people you may know casually or people who try your game using Apple's TestFlight public beta system. This is the real honest feedback. These are the same people who will post the truth about your game in live release reviews.

In the end, one way or another the truth of what your game is will be public. I would never, never, ever release a game knowing I have to fix things or I have bugs. Once word gets out your game has bugs or just plain sucks, there is no going back. You only get one good shot at a release and that is the first time.

That's good advice!!

edited April 2016

Thanks @Lost_Oasis_Games.
    That's really sound, concise advice. I didn't know that Apple had a public beta thing. I think I'll be checking that out properly – which I thought I did. I thought that you had to supply the testers. Where do they get them from?

Hey, @Lost_Oasis_Games

I've been trying to find out how I can use Apple's public beta testers but can't work out how. I've been looking in iTunes Connect (I'm registered as a developer), but can't see any way to submit my game for their testers.

I got the impression that Apple allows you to submit your app for their existing beta testers to test. Am I missing something here, or have I misunderstood what you said above?

If anyone has any idea here – I'd love to know as I think I've actually finished my first game and am eager to keep the ball moving.

anyone?

can someone please help me here?

Ok – I've done some more research and now understand that there is no magical supply of beta testers.. I have to supply them myself. Can some of you guys please PM me your email addresses so that I can have a few testers? Greatly appreciated, and I'll be there when you need testers.

sigh..