BEST resolution?

At the moment I working on 720 for a bigger screen, would this be okay for iphone ect if this was changed over at the end?
what is the best format?
May i also ask what the white borders are in game salad? I am assuming the inner one is screen resolution?

thanks.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2016

@milkywaystudios said:
    At the moment I working on 720 for a bigger screen . . .

'Bigger' might a confusing term in this context, a 720p project is a lot lower resolution than an iPhone 6+ or a Retina iPad. See image below.

@milkywaystudios said:
    would this be okay for iphone ect if this was changed over at the end?

It will probably be fine, 720p stretched to an iPhone 6+ or 6s+ might be a little soft, but the screens are physically small so you will probably not notice.

@milkywaystudios said:
    May i also ask what the white borders are in game salad? I am assuming the inner one is screen resolution?

The inner white boarder is the boundary of the GameSalad camera.

• milkywaystudiosmilkywaystudios Member Posts: 17

Hi, so what resolution should I design my levels with, just 1920x1080 for iphone 6 looks huge.
    I have been designing in 720 but I really need crisp graphics I dont mind losing a few days work to get it right.
    My game is platform level per level so the camera does not really zoom in to follow the actor.
    Just my images atm are 1264 x 652

@milkywaystudios said:
    Hi, so what resolution should I design my levels with . . . // . . . I have been designing in 720 but I really need crisp graphics I dont mind losing a few days work to get it right.

Is this game just for iPhones, or are you aiming to port it to iPad/tablets as well ?

@milkywaystudios said:

A 1254px by 652px image is effectively a 2048px x 1024px image (images in RAM follow a powers-of-two rule when it comes to memory usage) . . . so a 1264px by 652px image is not a very efficient use of memory.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@milkywaystudios said:
    Hi, so what resolution should I design my levels with, just 1920x1080 for iphone 6 looks huge.
    I have been designing in 720 but I really need crisp graphics I dont mind losing a few days work to get it right.
    My game is platform level per level so the camera does not really zoom in to follow the actor.

There is no such 720 resolution on a device, especially apple devices. you need to develop for iOS to apple's retina standard which is basically the image needs to be double the size you want it shown as so an actor with a 100x100 image needs to contain an image the size 200x200 at 72dpi. This is true for all apple devices.

Hi, the game is for the iphone.
    Thanks for the info including the RAM issues and also the apple devices.

also socks, if my image is effectively 2048 would that be okay for the iphone6 to be crisp?
    Same answer to Lost games?

Btw what would you say is a mem cap really for a game app?
    May go to tablets also yes.

cheers for support.

@milkywaystudios said:
    Hi, the game is for the iPhone.

If the game is for the iPhone then I would probably start with and iPhone 5, 6 or 6 plus project.

6 plus is obviously going to give you the highest resolution, but the 6 plus market share (compared to 5 and 6) is pretty small, so if you have a super busy shoot 'em up with hundreds of animated aliens flying around then it might be a good idea to go for a slightly less processor taxing resolution like the 5 or 6 . . . .

@milkywaystudios said:
    also socks, if my image is effectively 2048 would that be okay for the iphone6 to be crisp?

Any image can be crisp/sharp on any screen, the absolute pixel count doesn't effect that, so a 64 x 64 pixel icon can be perfectly sharp and a 2048 x 2048 pixel background can be perfectly sharp (and both can be soft and blurry if scaled up too far).

The ideal goal (for the maximum image quality) is to have a 1:1 image pixel to screen pixel ratio . . . so if you are using a 128 x 50 area of your phones screen you - ideally - want your image to contain 128 x 50 pixels . . . anything smaller or bigger will compromise the image quality.

@milkywaystudios said:
    Btw what would you say is a mem cap really for a game app?

I'm not sure what that means ?

@milkywaystudios said:
    May go to tablets also yes.

If you are going to do a tablet/iPad version then the best starting point will probably be an iPad project.

great advice and fully taken on board.

I start all my projects with iPad as I always release on iPad as well. With that aspect ratio you just have to watch where you place your actors as if you use crop to fit into iPhone the edges get cropped. There are a few threads for universal builds.

Most of my games will be on iphone, I was thinking about starting on the retainer for all apple devices to get best resolution but as socks pointed out my thinking was all wrong it is more about ram which got me thinking.. I know the iphone 6 is a small market but I thought hmmm maybe I should start on this to cover this and the iphone 5 should just drop in easy..
    I have more than 2:1 ration so I think I am good.
    Good advice though as I would hate to re-strip most of the project to go to ipad, I could start on ipad retainer maybe..

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I start all my projects with iPad . . .

Yeah, same here, starting with an iPad project gives you the most options.

edited April 2016

@milkywaystudios said:
    I know the iphone 6 is a small market but I thought hmmm maybe I should start on this to cover this and the iphone 5 should just drop in easy.

The iPhone 6 market is massive !!! I think it's the biggest selling iPhone of all time.

But the 'plus' market (iPhone 6 plus / iPhone 6S plus) is compartively very small.

"the iphone 5 should just drop in easy"

Running a true iPhone 6 plus game on an iPhone 5 means you are delivering 2,742,336 pixels to a 727,040 pixel device !! . . . that means the iPhone 5 is juggling x3.77 the pixels it can even display !

With a fairly static puzzle game this won't likely be an issue at all (besides a very slightly compromised image quality as the iP6+ assets are down sampled), but with a busy action game this may well compromise the gameplay, you will effectively be asking the iP5 to handle almost 4 times the graphic data that it needs to (if the game were a native resolution iP5 game).

So, although the conversion process will be 'easy' (as both iP5 and iP6 share the same 16:9 aspect ratio), it might not be easy in the respect of asking the older device to handle image assets four times the resolution is needs or can display.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I start all my projects with iPad

Same, just the easiest to work from across all devices.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2016

@milkywaystudios

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    I start all my projects with iPad

Same, just the easiest to work from across all devices.

Same here. :) Start with iPad 1536 x 2048 and make the images for all assets x4 times the actual size they will be displayed.

What we refer to around here as "twice the size" confuses some people. :/ It really means 2x the width and 2x the height.

edited April 2016

Yes we see this all the time around here. People build and iPhone game and then once completed decide to go with a universal build and then realize there is no going back. It's nice to see a learning user doing their homework before building @milkywaystudios