Understanding Android leaderboards

owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know.Member, PRO Posts: 236
edited April 2016 in Working with GS (Mac)

So I've been getting emails and stuff from people asking for an android release of my game, but I thought I read that leaderboard and achievement stuff doesn't work for android? Is that the case? Is the process of signing in etc the same as for ios? Is the stuff in this thread still accurate? http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/70524/how-to-add-a-leaderboard-board-to-google-play-with-amazon-gamecircle

I mostly just don't want to put something on android that has less functionality and then get a bunch of bad reviews because of it. Android is even more foreign to me than iOS, so I have a bit of learning to do.

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@owen_dennis said:
    So I've been getting emails and stuff from people asking for an android release of my game, but I thought I read that leaderboard and achievement stuff doesn't work for android? Is that the case? Is the process of signing in etc the same as for ios? Is the stuff in this thread still accurate? http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/70524/how-to-add-a-leaderboard-board-to-google-play-with-amazon-gamecircle

I mostly just don't want to put something on android that has less functionality and then get a bunch of bad reviews because of it. Android is even more foreign to me than iOS, so I have a bit of learning to do.

Although people do use Amazon leaderboards for android games, I don't do that as the user would need the Amazon game circle app. I don't publish to the play store anyway because of the piracy issues. I recently got a message from a GS user who I helped with some code and their game ended up on a pirate site in less than two weeks after they published it to play store. The play store does not offer the signing protections of apps that Amazon and Apple offer.

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2016

You can have a top10 leaderboard on android with AppFormative. It can even be set up to be cross platform, or only in the Android version.

But hopefully we can have google leaderboards in GS soon...

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter