Guru Live Stream Officially Moving to Saturday. (Broadcast Today)

The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
edited April 2016 in Community Tutorials

I originally took a forum poll to find the best day for the broadcast. But since most people seem to watch the DVR and my guest pool has better availability on Saturday, I am going to change the day.

Today I will be talking about 1.25 and some of the features, as well as other random ramblings..lol

Tune IN!

Saturday April 16th 1:00PM set US / 6:00pm London

Comments

• WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91

I haven't seen angry guru before :o .

Thanks for the info on 1.25 :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@WyrdGuitarist said:
    I haven't seen angry guru before :o .

Forgive me I needed to vent. As is evident some of the recent rhetoric hurts gamesalad and spreads way outside the forum.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@Lost_Oasis_Games when you switch to your screen and start working with GS , the video looses quality , it may be from the live stream or from my internet connection i don't really know. it makes me skip these parts to when you talk , this only happens on live streams.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599
    edited April 2016

Not sure how a video angrily expressing your opinions and angry towards the forums community is helpful when talking about a PR issue with GS?
    You talk about respectful communication but your video shows otherwise. All topics could have been addressed professionally.
    Good content and are all valid points, but it opens GS up for articles that may yield the opposite result.
    Best,

• WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91
    edited April 2016

My two cents:

Honestly as a returning old school GSer I think both sides of the performance debate are understandable.

It can be hard to find the best information on optimising performance as there's so much historical information and workarounds which are still available in the forums, it's hard to know which advice to follow - maybe a sticky with the current best practice would help.

But as @Lost_Oasis_Games says - it's not Gamesalad's fault, it's a good tool when used optimally, maybe it's just that the high end performance is not as readily accessible as say prototyping a project - but that sounds like a perception that could be overcome with a bit of community input.

@Two.E said:
    Not sure how a video angrily expressing your opinions and angry towards the forums community is helpful when talking about a PR issue with GS?
    You talk about respectful communication but your video shows otherwise. All topics could have been addressed professionally.
    Good content and are all valid points, but it opens GS up for articles that may yield the opposite result.
    Best,

My comments we to the usual suspects. I also gave a complete history and facts on the current state of GS. My assessment of GS was positive and accurate. I was also dispelling the miss information that recklessly spreads on this forum based on innuendo and rumor not based on fact. Someone need to expose the facts vs rumor. Most of the so called bad rap GS gets isn't based on fact and some people in this community are guilty of proving the misinformation and speculation that gets perceived as fact. This doesn't benefit the majority of this community. My remarks were not aimed at the vast majority of this community as I pointed out. I believe the people in this community are smart enough to realize that. People comment at me like I am the only person on this forum who feel this way and this is far from the truth. If my views were not shared how the heck would I ever achieve to be the third most points reciever on these forums? The truth is the naysayers and blatant complainers are the minority, they just rant the loudest. My counter posts usually garner as many like, agrees et... As the opposing comments. This is what I watch for not the rants aimed in my direction. Yes there is a group that doesn't like my candor but I don't allow those to blunt the truth. I am no sycophant to the staff and if I have an issue with them I message them. I don't gather a mob to burn them at the stake. When I encounter an issue I don't rant about how GS sucks on the forum. I submit a bug report with a sample and explanation and report the issue to the users so they are aware of it. Some of the biggest complainers never bother to submit bug reports. These are the facts plain and simple.

edited April 2016

@Icebox said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games when you switch to your screen and start working with GS , the video looses quality , it may be from the live stream or from my internet connection i don't really know. it makes me skip these parts to when you talk , this only happens on live streams.

That seems to be a wire cast thing. I have to look into what that is. I might be able to adjust the screen resolution as I am on a 5k Mac and the stream is 1080p I suspect this is the issue. I probably need to set my screen resolution to a lower scale when I broadcast. When I use screen recorder for my videos I reduce the res on output but since With wire cast is a live stream I probably have to reduce the screen res overall. Will do some tests this week.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@Lost_Oasis_Games

My concern is that the same type of people who write articles about GS and reference specific forums threads, means that they browse. Then they see a video of a member who talks about people closely communicated with the GS staff expressing concerns of software and how "Selfish and sh*T at coding" the community is. This just opens GS open for so many more articles that can reference so much.
    Facts vs Rumours need to be addressed, but the timing and general approach of the video seems to come across more harmful than beneficial.
    Nothing more.
    Best,

edited April 2016

@Two.E said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games

My concern is that the same type of people who write articles about GS and reference specific forums threads, means that they browse. Then they see a video of a member who talks about people closely communicated with the GS staff expressing concerns of software and how "Selfish and sh*T at coding" the community is. This just opens GS open for so many more articles that can reference so much.
    Facts vs Rumours need to be addressed, but the timing and general approach of the video seems to come across more harmful than beneficial.
    Nothing more.
    Best,

The fact that users aren't taking the time to use The plethora of resources to learn to code right is not a GS issue, it's a user issue for a loud minority of users. This is the truth as to why GS gets a bad rap because those users spread those facts because they go off and blame GS when it isn't GS's fault that they didn't take the time to learn the software. It's like blaming Ford because you don't know how to drive. So the fact a reporter or blogger can reference that a veteran user said GS get's a bad rap from a minority because they didn't learn the software is negative for GS? What I did was set the record straight.

I provide beta info to GS Staff only period. I'm not buddies or an insider. Anyone can message foruNinja and become a tester if you want to put in the work. The limit of my contact is one beta reporting thread period. My concern is entirely selfish in a way. I've invested a lot in learning this software and I want it too be here so I don't have to reinvest in another software. and I know many others who choose not to speakup, I'm not knocking them for that, Feel this way. I have no issue taking the heat. I don't make my living from GS, I have no real vested interest in anything I do on here other than make my games. Most of what I do, videos, some client work here and there, helping et.. I could frankly take it or leave it. Others don't have that luxury. if I were to be drummed of the forum, I would simply do my day job, make my games and let others do the videos. Although, now that braydon is no longer doing tutorials, it's just me and JamieC.

I have always done what I do to repay what I received from others when I was learning and have already payed that dept in spades. Quite frankly, I can find funner things to do than beta test GS and make videos or do my lifestream on saturdays. I can work on my jeep, go enjoy the beach, hang out with my buddies,play a game, watch TV, Go off-roading et... But the private feedback I get from users keeps me doing it. Because there are only a handful of people here who bother to step up and help and that's the truth.

@Icebox said:

Yes changing the resolution of my screen down from 5K fixes that issue.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@Lost_Oasis_Games Great , that was quick :)

@Icebox said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games Great , that was quick :)

Just a lazy Sunday so I did a quick test. Once you mentioned it I knew exactly the issue. I encountered this while making my 20 part multiplayer series I have stored on Vimeo for when GS reintroduces it. I did it in 4K and I had to down scale the output resolution from 5k to a 4K size to get the proper image resolution.

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited April 2016

So does it look like the pin function will make it easier to chain actors together to make snake-like enemies?

edited April 2016

@owen_dennis said:
    So does it look like the pin function will make it easier to chain actors together to make snake-like enemies?

Actually custom collisions are better for that. Pin works like a constrain to a spot on the scene so your actor wouldn't move as it is not a joint type thing. Check out the template @socks posted in this thread doing a cut the rope using only custom link segments created with custom collisions.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/90103/video-tutorial-custom-collision-shapes-using-physics-body-editor/p1

See my first 1.25 video on how to use COM and pin.

• owen_dennisowen_dennis Just a guy, you know. Member, PRO Posts: 236
    edited April 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@owen_dennis said:

Actually custom collisions are better for that. Pin works like a constrain to a spot on the scene so your actor wouldn't move as it is not a joint type thing. Check out the template @socks posted in this thread doing a cut the rope using only custom link segments created with custom collisions.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/90103/video-tutorial-custom-collision-shapes-using-physics-body-editor/p1

See my first 1.25 video on how to use COM and pin.

Cool, that's helpful. I also checked out the socks stuff. I tried doing something like that in Vectradius to begin with. I made some collisions that acted like real life chains. If you want to make a chain and then have the end of it constrain to your finger and have the other end anchored somewhere, I guess you'd have to use an accelerate function instead of a constrain? Otherwise it seems that the piece can just break through the collisions (because the constrain would override the collision)

@owen_dennis said:

Cool, that's helpful. I also checked out the socks stuff. I tried doing something like that in Vectradius to begin with. I made some collisions that acted like real life chains. If you want to make a chain and then have the end of it constrain to your finger and have the other end anchored somewhere, I guess you'd have to use an accelerate function instead of a constrain? Otherwise it seems that the piece can just break through the collisions (because the constrain would override the collision)

I have a solution for that too!

Constrain the actor to the touch velocity and not the touch position this will keep collisions intact.