camera and resolution/scenes

sonicm3sonicm3 Member Posts: 141
edited April 2016 in Working with GS (Mac)

my questions

1) is it better to have smaller scenes or one giant 5000 x 5000 scene or bigger? and use camera to follow the actor around a large image?
2)whats better for lag issues and will it work?
4) would i need to destroy the previous massive image when i enter another level to save on memory

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@sonicm3 said:
    would i need to destroy the previous massive image when i enter another level to save on memory

The largest image you can import into GameSalad is 2048 x 2048 pixels.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@sonicm3 said:
    my questions

1) is it better to have smaller scenes or one giant 5000 x 5000 scene or bigger? and use camera to follow the actor around a large image?

5000x5000 isn't that big I wouldn't worry about it.

Someone told me they were making a game scene size 50,000!!!!

With GS click and scroll UI I would snap.

• sonicm3sonicm3 Member Posts: 141

Hi, haha 50,000!!!! wow lol, dam.

thanks, thats great.

@gattoman said:
    5000x5000 isn't that big I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep, scene size has pretty much zero effect on performance, it will happily take a 200,000,000 pixel by 200,000,000 pixel scene without problems, but like you say when scenes get really big the UI becomes the issue.

So, if i am going to programme it on the ipad, what level image would work best, 2048x2048 ? one that isnt going to get distorted when preview in iphone.

its causing lots of issues, when i set it for ipad landscape and put a 2048x2048 looks perfect, then when i view on iphone its stretched and horrible

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@sonicm3 said:
    its causing lots of issues, when i set it for ipad landscape and put a 2048x2048 looks perfect, then when i view on iphone its stretched and horrible

Try using overscan instead of stretch.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@sonicm3 said:

Yup you are learning! Different devices have different image ratios.

I found this confusing at first. There are different ways to deal with it. Now I try and design the game around it and use overscan.

But I'm not really an expert on it.

edited April 2016

Thanks guys, what is overscan? (sorry if im missing the obvious here )
    (not at pc until about hour that has the GS app on to check )

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

When you test your game, either on a computer or the GS viewer, rhere's a dropdown menu with 3 options. Letterbox, stretch and overscan. The same options are available wen you publish in GS publishing portal.

It's basically the way your game will be scaled across different screen sizes.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

atm, im using the windows version of GS, i cant see that, only the drop menu for ipadect, and ratios 100%/50% ect

@sonicm3 said:
    Thanks guys, what is overscan?