design and build

Hi, before i start my new project, i would like it to work on phones and ipads to look good with no horrible resolution issues.
If i design my project on IPAD landscape using a 5000x5000 scene with HD high quality images, it should be ok to run on both iphones and ipads fluently ?

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@sonicm3 said:
    If i design my project on IPAD landscape using a 5000x5000 scene with HD high quality images, it should be ok to run on both iphones and ipads fluently ?

Obviously the higher resolution your images are the more strain it will place on a device's processor/graphics, especially older devices.

Ideally your images should be no lower resolution or no higher resolution than exactly what's required.

For example if you have an actor that occupies 400 x 400 pixels on an iPhone then - ideally - the image applied to that actor should be 400 x 400 pixels.

A lower resolution image will start to compromise the image quality, a higher resolution image will both compromise the image quality and place unnecessary strain on the device.

• sonicm3sonicm3 Member Posts: 141

Okay thanks, yea all my images are around 400x400 so that will load them into gamesalad at 200x200 with resolution ticked?

This size should be alright to make less strain on older devices?
    and @socks , do you think from your experince, that i would have problems if i made my scene 5000x5000 with a picture 5000x5000 of a giant level 400x400 loaded into GS?

Then, after that level is completed, and level 2 is loaded, destroy the previous image?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@sonicm3 said:
    Okay thanks, yea all my images are around 400x400 so that will load them into gamesalad at 200x200 with resolution ticked?

Yes, for a 200 x 200 pixel actor, the general recommendation would be to use a 400 x 400 pixel actor.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a 400 x 400 pixel image actually uses up a 512 x 512 chunk of memory on the device, as memory allocation for images work to a powers-of-two rule (2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 . . . etc), you image will basically take up the smallest chunk of memory it can fit into, so although generally speaking you don't have to worry about this too much, if you were to have 30 alien space ships flying around the screen, and they were all using a 65 x 65 pixels image - then they would actually be using a 128 x 128 pixel chunk of memory, so in this case it might be a good idea to make them 64 x 64 pixels.

@sonicm3 said:
    do you think from your experince, that i would have problems if i made my scene 5000x5000 with a picture 5000x5000 of a giant level 400x400 loaded into GS?

Not sure what that means ? The largest image you can import into GS is 2048 x 2048 pixels.

Thanks thats so helpful. so ill make my image level on 6000x6000 desert map and GS will resize it to 3000x3000.

when i create level 2 with another 3000x3000 image for example snow level.. do you think its worth destroying previous actor for the image of 3000x3000 desert map? to save memory?

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840
    edited April 2016

All oversized larger images will be sized 2048x2048 auromattically. GS will tell you it's doing this. (Notify)

I believe if you change scenes all actors are destroyed so you don't have to manually do that. I believe that's automatic "garbage collection". Maybe more in concept?

oh thanks gattoman, thats great if all scenes are destoyed.

guys, do you think form your experince its better me making a project using the iphone6 landscape?

so it will adjust it to fit ipads, and when i test the game, i can select between ipad, iphone ect, are those accurate how it looks?

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

If it's the same scene. You can destroy actors not needed. I have never tested free ram gained by doing that. I can only assume there would be. Would it make any difference to the person playing? Maybe some large games on older devices.