Anyone ever figure out "Move To" bug?

JScottJScott Member Posts: 143

About 1 out of every 12 times, my actors will "teleport" to where they are supposed to calmly walk over to. I've encountered this since I started with GS in many different projects, just wondering if there has been a solution.
I saw a few tips back in the day, (real attributes. etc), but mostly people said to not use "Move To"
I know there are other workarounds to move actors, but I like "Move To" and think it should be a fundamental behaviour(that works).
Anyone experienced and/or solved this?

Comments

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278
    edited April 2016

I personally have bad exprience with move to when it comes to RPG. I recommend using interpolate if you can.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@JScott said:
    About 1 out of every 12 times, my actors will "teleport" to where they are supposed to calmly walk over to. I've encountered this since I started with GS in many different projects, just wondering if there has been a solution.
    I saw a few tips back in the day, (real attributes. etc), but mostly people said to not use "Move To"
    I know there are other workarounds to move actors, but I like "Move To" and think it should be a fundamental behaviour(that works).
    Anyone experienced and/or solved this?

Move to can be tricky but I use it. Really depends on the setup and the conditions triggering it. you have to watch out for real places on the X & Y. if you had a rule that said when X = 345 move to X & Y. The issue with position is they are real attributes and have decimal places so you could end up at 345.23 this in a rule condition is not = to 345. watch the operators you use. Better to use => or =< and such. You should always feed position attributes into real attributes because of the decimal places.

• JScottJScott Member Posts: 143

@Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) , @Lost_Oasis_Games
    Thanks for the replies. Interpolate is good in some situations, but for my current game there are too many calculations involved to use interpolate to move actors. Plus, I'd just like Move To to work!
    All my Move To's use real attributes that are saved to self (real) attributes before the behaviour is triggered. They still jump instantly across the screen instead of Moving To the point indicated (not every time).
    So is this a bug? Or is there a way to use Move To properly so that it works consistently?
    Seems like Move To should be fixed before adding anything else to GS, as pretty well every game needs actors to move. Or scrap the behaviour if the best advice is to not use it.
    I'll submit a bug.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited April 2016

@JScott said:
    Thanks for the replies. Interpolate is good in some situations, but for my current game there are too many calculations involved to use interpolate to move actors.

Not 100% sure what this means, too many calculations involved to use Interpolate ?

You can also use Constrain to interpolate a value.

When x < target value
    --Constrain x to x+y

Example, if you wanted an actor to move from x100 to x220 over 4 seconds (30pps). . .

When x < 220
    --Constrain x to x+0.5

@JScott said:
    Thanks for the replies. Interpolate is good in some situations, but for my current game there are too many calculations involved to use interpolate to move actors. Plus, I'd just like Move To to work!
    All my Move To's use real attributes that are saved to self (real) attributes before the behaviour is triggered. They still jump instantly across the screen instead of Moving To the point indicated (not every time).
    So is this a bug? Or is there a way to use Move To properly so that it works consistently?
    Seems like Move To should be fixed before adding anything else to GS, as pretty well every game needs actors to move. Or scrap the behaviour if the best advice is to not use it.
    I'll submit a bug.

Move to works for me on the Mac. Are you on Windows? I don't see any skipping although if there is an issue it is related to timing which many of the stuttering et.. We're related to that and this is fixed in 1.25.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:
    Move to works for me on the Mac.

Yep, same here, never had any trouble with 'Move To' either.

• JScottJScott Member Posts: 143

@Socks I found that getting my actors to move at a consistent speed and have animations work with interpolate instead of move to requires a lot more rules (calculations like magnitude etc.). I have dozens of actors moving at once, so figured that would be resource heavy. Also I need actors to be able to switch direction mid movement if ordered, so that is tricky with interpolate. I've tried using attributes for this (and updating the attributes mid movement) but, funnily this causes the teleport-immediately-to-position bug more frequently.
    Glad you guys haven't had to deal with it, but there are numerous similar threads about move-to, and the advice given is often "don't use it". Just trying to figure out why that is.
    @Lost_Oasis_Games good to know 1.25 might be the fix for this. (I'm using Mac)

Thanks for the input guys.

@JScott said:
    @Socks I found that getting my actors to move at a consistent speed and have animations work with interpolate instead of move to requires a lot more rules (calculations like magnitude etc.). I have dozens of actors moving at once, so figured that would be resource heavy. Also I need actors to be able to switch direction mid movement if ordered, so that is tricky with interpolate. I've tried using attributes for this (and updating the attributes mid movement) but, funnily this causes the teleport-immediately-to-position bug more frequently.
    Glad you guys haven't had to deal with it, but there are numerous similar threads about move-to, and the advice given is often "don't use it". Just trying to figure out why that is.
    @Lost_Oasis_Games good to know 1.25 might be the fix for this. (I'm using Mac)

Thanks for the input guys.

Move to is a moody behavior. It's not a behavior for everything but it does work. I used it for my game puck it and it even will slide around round objects.