"Guru video" 1.25 feature Chartboost Reward videos

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited April 2016

Great video @Lost_Oasis_Games , thanks.

May I add that if you implement this, you need to keep track of how many times a user has viewed videos that day. @Dan_Chartboost can confirm this, but Chartboost allows for a maximum of 20 videos per player per day.

So, keep track of the number of views, and only make the "View ad" option available to the players if they have not used up this limit.

Also be aware that your users may be from countries with a low fill-rate/inventory. This means that even though they are below 20 ads a day, they still may not get a video at that moment.

@CodeWizard , @GeorgeGS , it is awesome that you brought in rewarded ads, but please implement an initial "IsVideoAvailable" function to allow us to accommodate the above situations in a professional manner.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277
    edited April 2016

@Lost_Oasis_Games - thanks for the video!

• AnaBradleyAnaBradley Member Posts: 9

Thanks, I know what I'll be doing this weekend :)

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited April 2016

@Hopscotch said:
    May I add that if you implement this, you need to keep track of how many times a user has viewed videos that day. @Dan_Chartboost can confirm this, but Chartboost allows for a maximum of 20 videos per player per day.

So, keep track of the number of views, and only make the "View ad" option available to the players if they have not used up this limit.

Isn't this possible with normal game attributes have them in the condition of a rule to show reward ads and reset the value to 0 after 20 tries (save the value) and measure how much time has passed since the app was made inactive to reset the attributes and allow ads again ? Or is it not possible ? I still don't understand how it works so just asking.

@Icebox , you will need to keep track of the number of ads shown that day.

Here off the top of my head, not at a GS machine right now...

Create two attributes:

game.LastAdDate = 0
    game.LastAdCount = 0

then:

load game.LastAdDate
    load game.LastAdCount

Rule 
    if game.LastAdDate < (game.Clock.Year*10000)+(game.Clock.Month*100)+game.Clock.Day
    or game.LastAdCount < 20
    then

Change Attribute game.RewardedAd.Value = 0
             Pause Scene with Show Rewarded ad

End rule

then on the pause scene:

Rule
     if game.RewardedAd.Value = 0
     then

Display text "Sorry, no ad available at this time, or you cancelled the ad, or have already watched twenty today."

Otherwise

Display text "You earned "..game.RewardedAd.Value
              Rule
              if game.LastAdDate < (game.Clock.Year*10000)+(game.Clock.Month*100)+game.Clock.Day
              then

game.LastAdDate = (game.Clock.Year*10000)+(game.Clock.Month*100)+game.Clock.Day
                       game.LastAdCount = 1

save game.LastAdDate
                       save game.LastAdCount

Otherwise

game.LastAdCount = game.LastAdCount + 1

save game.LastAdDate
                       save game.LastAdCount

End rule

End rule

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
  • izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503

@freneticz said:
    Are you getting 0.01$ / ad ?

reward videos are at $13 ECPM for me right now

• Games4lifeGames4life Member, PRO Posts: 279

Is there a way to add an extra life instead of adding coins? For example, when the character dies I want a pop-up asking, "Watch this video to gain an extra life" What I am trying to say is once a character watches the video they can continue where they left off... How would I do that?
    Thanks!

@Games4life

sure, the currency can be anything you want, life, coins, extra tries, etc.

Change the name of the currency in Chartboost and your game accordingly.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Awesome from me Dave!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@UtopianGames said:
    Awesome from me Dave!

Thanks. I'm taking a break from videos and my live stream. There just doesn't seem to be enough support from the majority of the community, which I take as a lack of satisfaction of what I have to offer. I guess my work is not up to the task. It takes lots of hours of study and recording and editing to do these videos and the live stream. I thank those who have found them useful but the cost and time involved just doesn't merit the amount of people benefiting from it. I have to contemplate if my time might be better spent on my wife and family. I have been doing this for nearly 5 years now. I have gotten a handful of thankyou's and people have even listed me in game credits, and to those people I say, "I am humbled by your kindness." Time for some much needed rest as gamesalad figures out it's future.

@Lost_Oasis_Games fully understand your decision. Good for you to take a well deserved break.

You work and efforts are top notch and admirable. The lack of support is due to uncertainty in the community.

You say "...as gamesalad figures out it's future".
    I hope the new broom brings a clear direction and ever present dialogue between GS and the community - sooner rather than later. This is essential for a motivated, confident and active developer community.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I understand Dave. Your videos have always been helpful, and as someone who knows how much time it takes, thank you. I always enjoyed the live streams too!

Hoping to see more videos and live streams from you in the future !

edited June 2016

A while back GS paid TSB per video and think he did well from it, might be worth GS investing in you as no one around here does videos like you Dave and it would surely be a win win?

The biggest problem GS has is being taken seriously and many see it as a kids tool not a proper grown ups tool but your videos are so professional it could change people's perception and more users could join up.

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278

@Lost_Oasis_Games wish u best of luck, u have given to the community the best of gifts i.e. Knowledge , i hope u keep on helping others n I wish GS gets well soon..

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@UtopianGames said:
    Awesome from me Dave!

Thanks. I'm taking a break from videos and my live stream. There just doesn't seem to be enough support from the majority of the community, which I take as a lack of satisfaction of what I have to offer. I guess my work is not up to the task. It takes lots of hours of study and recording and editing to do these videos and the live stream. I thank those who have found them useful but the cost and time involved just doesn't merit the amount of people benefiting from it. I have to contemplate if my time might be better spent on my wife and family. I have been doing this for nearly 5 years now. I have gotten a handful of thankyou's and people have even listed me in game credits, and to those people I say, "I am humbled by your kindness." Time for some much needed rest as gamesalad figures out it's future.

And the countless hours beta testing for the last build you did..........

I don't think I read any public forum thanks from GS for that.........

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@UtopianGames said:
    A while back GS paid TSB per video and think he did well from it, might be worth GS investing in you as no one around here does videos like you Dave and it would surely be a win win?

The biggest problem GS has is being taken seriously and many see it as a kids tool not a proper grown ups tool but your videos are so professional it could change people's perception and more users could join up.

They did make and offer and then never followed through. Yet I still ended up making videos for the academy and that happened all because of @RhiannonSalad she reached out to me and was very nice and kind. She was very appreciative of all I did for the community. We struck up a kinship and it was for her that I made my videos for the academy and now she has been layed off too.

Except for her, I never got much feedback or appreciation from gamesalad, not that I was looking for it, as I did what I did for this community not them. I've had conversations with several GS content creators and they felt the same, that It would have been to GS's benefit to have better contact communication with those who make videos, help on the forums et... I know these people well and they, like me, we're not looking for money, only help with details, direction and communication to help. To be honest the staff could rarely be bothered and never respected the value we brought. It's not what you say but what you do that shows what you value. They could rarely be bothered to answer a technical question so we could show the community the proper way to do something.

In all honesty, gamesalad wouldn't be where it is without these people. When I started there was little to no info, now there is a plethora of videos, info and knowledge, all discovered and collected and taught and shared by a handful of users who are still active in this community. Those people built this community which zero help from gamesalad and yet gamesalad marketed the community as an asset, time and time again without recognizing those who built the damn thing.

The people who built this community @Braydon_SFX , @Hopscotch , @tatiang , @Socks , @RThurman @jonmulcahy , @jamie_c , @Armelline , @uptimistik , @UtopianGames and many more who have moved on.

These people have been doing what they do for six years or more, day in and day out. They were here when there was little to nothing and took it upon themselves to make this place great. I thank you all for your work, your friendship et... I am proud of what we build for a community and knowlegebase. To those of you who may not have that legecy, but caught the vision and joined in, I thank you as well.

• Nabbo (ReflectiveByte)Nabbo (ReflectiveByte) Member Posts: 278

I respect all the GS Legends: @Lost_Oasis_Games ,@Braydon_SFX , @Hopscotch , @tatiang , @Socks , @RThurman @jonmulcahy , @jamie_c , @Armelline , @uptimistik , @UtopianGames... they gave so much creative ideas.. My best wishes to them as it is a difficult task to spend time for the community out of their busy life ( I know it ) and I am very much ashamed of how GS is handling the knowledge and the Legends.. @ForumNinja (as u are only active GS member) Please make a note on this and try to fix and appreciate the work that community does..

• RhiannonSaladRhiannonSalad Member, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 69

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@UtopianGames said:

They did make and offer and then never followed through. Yet I still ended up making videos for the academy and that happened all because of @RhiannonSalad she reached out to me and was very nice and kind. She was very appreciative of all I did for the community. We struck up a kinship and it was for her that I made my videos for the academy and now she has been layed off too.

Except for her, I never got much feedback or appreciation from gamesalad, not that I was looking for it, as I did what I did for this community not them. I've had conversations with several GS content creators and they felt the same, that It would have been to GS's benefit to have better contact communication with those who make videos, help on the forums et... I know these people well and they, like me, we're not looking for money, only help with details, direction and communication to help. To be honest the staff could rarely be bothered and never respected the value we brought. It's not what you say but what you do that shows what you value. They could rarely be bothered to answer a technical question so we could show the community the proper way to do something.

In all honesty, gamesalad wouldn't be where it is without these people. When I started there was little to no info, now there is a plethora of videos, info and knowledge, all discovered and collected and taught and shared by a handful of users who are still active in this community. Those people built this community which zero help from gamesalad and yet gamesalad marketed the community as an asset, time and time again without recognizing those who built the damn thing.

The people who built this community @Braydon_SFX , @Hopscotch , @tatiang , @Socks , @RThurman @jonmulcahy , @jamie_c , @Armelline , @uptimistik , @UtopianGames and many more who have moved on.

These people have been doing what they do for six years or more, day in and day out. They were here when there was little to nothing and took it upon themselves to make this place great. I thank you all for your work, your friendship et... I am proud of what we build for a community and knowlegebase. To those of you who may not have that legecy, but caught the vision and joined in, I thank you as well.

❤️

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@Lost_Oasis_Games and @Nabbo (ReflectiveByte), Thanks for the kind mention. There are certainly at lot of really good members of this community. That is what inspired me to make videos and tutorials to start with. Others were so helpful here I just wanted to give something back and hopefully help out as well.

It seems like a crazy time right now (I guess it has been for a long time really). Hopefully things smooth out and continue forward. I do think it's worth noting this forum would not be nearly as useful as it is were it not for the helpful members of the community.

No offense to anyone on staff at GS is intended but of all the users of this community, they seem to be the least vocal and active.

• myke66myke66 Member Posts: 74

Thank you for the video. I plan on implementing this in a new game I am working on. I dont use the forums much but im very thankful things like this are available.

@myke66 said:
    Thank you for the video. I plan on implementing this in a new game I am working on. I dont use the forums much but im very thankful things like this are available.

+1

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@jamie_c said:

No offense to anyone on staff at GS is intended but of all the users of this community, they seem to be the least vocal and active.

You know why? There are hardly any of them left... and those that are are head down and bum up still fixing stuff. :grin:

Bump the Guru!

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

So this works great and all, but once a video is watched ever, the players still receive the free gift in my game if they go again and the ad doesn't show.

I have, just like in the video, if reward value > 0 , reward the points. Do I have to reset the reward ad value attribute after rewarding? So they can't get it if there's no ads again? Should I not mess with that value?

Is that what @Hopscotch is talking about with the recording clock/times?

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

anyone of the gamesalad community yet has rewarded videos in a launched game in any appstore?

edited July 2016

@BigDave the current implementation of rewarded ads is still lacking some important features.

1. We need an indicator if a rewarded video is even available at the time. It may not be much of a problem in the US and Europe, but in many other areas of the globe, ad inventory is very sporadic. Offering a user a "watch ad for coins" option, only to not have an ad showing, is a very unsatisfactory situation.
    2. Added to number 1., we do not get feedback if the ad was skipped, or if none was available. Again, not giving us the option of responding sensibly to the user after the event.
    3. Since we do not get any feedback, other than a successful view, makes the whole flow very complicated.

The sdk's offer these call-backs, hopefully they get implemented in GS at some point. Bug has been posted, so please vote on this:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1674.

Until then, they are not a viable option for me.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

@Hopscotch
    Done
    Thats my votes right now:

1443    FEATURE REQUEST: Ability to control alpha value of display text via expression editor (Show Votes)

319 Feature Request: Google Play Game Services (Show Votes)
    1095    FEATURE REQUEST: Nearest Neighbor Interpolation Option (Show Votes)
    1674    A function to check for the Availability of Rewarded Video (Show Votes)