Reward Video check

Is there a way to make the game check if there is Internet to show the reward button? I don't want there to be a button in my game that doesn't work if they're not connected. And also when they've watched 20 times, is there a way to stop showing the button? Would I have to do this with a server involved?

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Currently not @swanyboy, this issue has been raised a few times.

@GeorgeGS is aware of this need, but they need to find a generic way to make it work for all ad providers.

Over and above just wanting to know if the user is online and is below their 20 ads/day limit, it is also necessary to know if there are even ads available at that time and region.

• swanyboyswanyboy Member Posts: 38

Alright thanks @Hopscotch

@swanyboy, I have added a bug for this:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1674

Due to the crucial nature of this issue, I have added it as a bug, not as a feature request.

We need to keep the pressure on on this one. :)

• swanyboyswanyboy Member Posts: 38

Commented! Can I also vote, or is that just for features?

• As_Of_LatteAs_Of_Latte Member, BASIC Posts: 343

@Hopscotch I haven't tested the video reward ads system yet, however, does this mean if a player enables "Airplane mode" disconnecting from the internet entirely, can they then be rewarded without even viewing a video ad?

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@As_Of_Latte said:
    @Hopscotch I haven't tested the video reward ads system yet, however, does this mean if a player enables "Airplane mode" disconnecting from the internet entirely, can they then be rewarded without even viewing a video ad?

The reward is only given when the ad provider confirms it was fulfilled. No network, no reward.

• As_Of_LatteAs_Of_Latte Member, BASIC Posts: 343

@GeorgeGS Awesome! That works for me :)

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited May 2016

@Hopscotch said:
    @swanyboy, I have added a bug for this:

http://bugs.gamesalad.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1674

Due to the crucial nature of this issue, I have added it as a bug, not as a feature request.

We need to keep the pressure on on this one. :)

Voted! But I hope we don't really need to vote on this because it's such a crucial part of rewarded ads. Right now I wouldn't use them under any circumstances because I'd never put a button in my games that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't do anything at all with no possibility to give the player any feedback.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@Hoodloc - I'm using a bit of a work around that gives feedback and is working fine (although not allowing the player to attempt to view an ad if it isn't available would be far better!).

Basically I'm calling for the reward ad by pausing the game. On my pause screen after a couple of seconds I have a popup that appears and depending on what value has been returned it gives feedback... so if the value is 0 (no reward ad delivered) I then say something like "We could not play your video at this time, please try again later", other wise it indicates that the reward ad has been successful.

edited May 2016

@DigiChain, how do you differentiate between no video and a cancelled view?

Added to this, how would you decide on how long to wait for a response? On a bad mobile connection, the callback answer can take a minute to come back with a positive response.

Somewhere within the Chartboost settings I believe there was an option you could choose where the player wouldn't be able to cancel a video once it was playing - so this won't be an issue. Just looked but can't find where that was now.

You've got a point about bad mobile connections - I've given it 3 seconds on the pause screen before the popup appears.

It's rough and ready I know, but for now it's a way to do it!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@DigiChain said:
    Somewhere within the Chartboost settings I believe there was an option you could choose where the player wouldn't be able to cancel a video once it was playing - so this won't be an issue. Just looked but can't find where that was now.

You've got a point about bad mobile connections - I've given it 3 seconds on the pause screen before the popup appears.

It's rough and ready I know, but for now it's a way to do it!

The other issue you have is the value doesn't fill until the video has finished playing. So your button will appear even if the video plays.

@Lost_Oasis_Games - Yes thats true, but since the video covers up the button/text popup whilst playing the user is unaware of it. When the video finishes playing and closes it return the value and the pop-up changes to 'Success'.

I've only tested it on my nexus 7 device but all works as expected.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@DigiChain said:
    @Lost_Oasis_Games - Yes thats true, but since the video covers up the button/text popup whilst playing the user is unaware of it. When the video finishes playing and closes it return the value and the pop-up changes to 'Success'.

I've only tested it on my nexus 7 device but all works as expected.

Okay good. Just wanted to make sure you you aware of that :)