Possible to get approved for just iPhone or must be Universal now?

CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674

I was trying to get an app approved for iPhone instead of Universal and this is the rejection Apple sent me.
"We noticed that your app did not run at iPhone resolution when reviewed on iPad running iOS 9.3.1, which is a violation of the App Store Review Guidelines."
This was published using overscan, but if I publish letterbox that won't get approved either because of the different iPhone aspect ratios, correct? Stretch also seems to be problematic because it would smash the game's graphics on iPad and wouldn't work as the rejection letter asks.
So anyone know how to go about this? I've been publishing things for Android but haven't published anything new for iOS in some time so I'm lost on how to go about some new issues using GS for iOS.

Or if I did just publish as Universal, the game's resolution is set up for iPhone 5 but it's a pixel art style game so it being a lower resolution isn't as noticeable. If I used overscan to keep the pixel art unstretched and all hud elements appear on screen is Apple likely approve it as Universal?

Best Answer

• IceboxIcebox Posts: 1,485
    Accepted Answer

since you started with iphone you can use this method that uses stretch its simple and effective by bbenk

or there might be other better ways but this is a solution for now if you want , i used it and looks great on all devices.

Answers

• CrazybreadmanCrazybreadman Member Posts: 674
    edited April 2016

Thanks @Icebox that would work great for making it universal. So to answer my main question, we have to make our apps universal instead of targeting just iPhone to get approved now? I remember a while back it was ok to publish to iPhone and the app would be approved if it was in letterbox when used on an iPad, but it needs to be designed for an iPad screen now to get approved at all? The reason I didn't really plan to publish as universal is because the app is designed with one handed gameplay in mind and not really ideal for use on an iPad.