Virtual Pet App

richheibelrichheibel Member, PRO Posts: 8

Hi guys!

I'm starting work on a Japanese Folk Lore based virtual pet that I would like to behave very much like a tamagotchi, evolving after certain conditions are met, etc, after a specified amount of time.

I was just wondering if this feat is achievable with GS? (I'm hoping so as I've just paid for it!)

Any assistance would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@richheibel said:
    Hi guys!

I'm starting work on a Japanese Folk Lore based virtual pet that I would like to behave very much like a tamagotchi, evolving after certain conditions are met, etc, after a specified amount of time.

I was just wondering if this feat is achievable with GS? (I'm hoping so as I've just paid for it!)

Thanks,

Rich

This is possible as you can track date and time. Search the forum you will find some threads on charting date and time.

• richheibelrichheibel Member, PRO Posts: 8

@Lost_Oasis_Games said:

@richheibel said:
    Hi guys!

Thanks,

Rich

This is possible as you can track date and time. Search the forum you will find some threads on charting date and time.

That's great!

Thank you very much for your help. I'll get my nose stuck in now. :)

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Absolutely doable. I used to have a tamagotchi template on GSHelper.com but I've removed it as it didn't work properly with newer devices. I think @Armelline also has a countdown timer demo or template that does something similar.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Than> @tatiang said:

Absolutely doable. I used to have a tamagotchi template on GSHelper.com but I've removed it as it didn't work properly with newer devices. I think @Armelline also has a countdown timer demo or template that does something similar.

Thank you so much, I've just bought the template from @Armelline - waiting for it to come over to me and I'm going to get started! :)

Another stupid question.. I'm wanting to have a function whereby when a type of monster is unlocked an Encyclopedia entry is unlocked in an "Encyclopedia" menu - is it possible for me to create a menu that only unlocks these when the user has managed to obtain that creature?

Thanks for all of the help I really appreciate it!!

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Sure, what you'd want to do is create a Boolean Attribute for the monster. Lets call it "Monster". This attribute will start as False (since the monster is not unlocked yet). Once the monster is unlocked change the Monster Attribute to True.

Then throughout your game you can check the value of the Monster Attribute. In your encyclopedia, if Monster equals True display the information, if Monster is False don't display it.

Ok, I'm stuck. I've got the resource template but I can't for the life of me figure out how to modify it to make it track happiness, health and age...

I'm basically wanting to count down from 100 on both Health and Happiness and have that number increase when fed and played with..

The age is literally just to keep track of how old it is, and have it change into another monster after "X" amount of time.. can anyone offer any help on customizing the template?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@richheibel said:
    Ok, I'm stuck. I've got the resource template but I can't for the life of me figure out how to modify it to make it track happiness, health and age...

I'm basically wanting to count down from 100 on both Health and Happiness and have that number increase when fed and played with..

The age is literally just to keep track of how old it is, and have it change into another monster after "X" amount of time.. can anyone offer any help on customizing the template?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

Sounds like you need more understanding of gamesalad. Go to my guru video site, the link is in my signature, and watch my series GSLogic. This will help you understand.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@richheibel, I'm afraid I don't know anything about that specific template so I can't offer much advice on how to edit it directly. I'd follow @Lost_Oasis_Games suggestions and spend a some time learning Gamesalads basics before diving into a big project.