Student Video Game Looking for Feedback

PHS15PHS15 Member, PRO Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in Announce Your Game!

I am a part of a two man team in my high school game design class. This is one of our first ever games we created and would appreciate any feedback you might have for us. The game took us around a semester to make, with one person focusing mainly on artwork while one focusing on coding and mechanics. The part you will most likely be playing is the first and second level. I say this because of how I was testing in GameSalad and how I uploaded it (the scenes are not in order), although you might be able to access the rest of the game as well. Please share your thoughts with us if you have any.

arcade.gamesalad.com/games/137323

Comments

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

Dead link!

• PHS15PHS15 Member, PRO Posts: 3
    edited May 2016

Sorry about that - fixed!

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Really nice work. For a first game it's pretty impressive. I got through killing all the fish and to a boss level I think. I wasn't able to kill the boss, barely even able to hurt it it seemed.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

the game seems fun, but the controls are difficult to use. I didn't understand at first that you couldn't jump once you ran out of stanimia, and you could use all your staminia before you even get in the water. Using the harpoon was a neat effect, but felt strange that when you reeled it in the player moved instead of the fish.

Some changes I would make (but these are just my opinion)

1. Make a graphical menu, it's pretty basic
    2. Allow the player to swim around constantly, just move slower when they run out of staminia.
    3. When they reel in the harpoon, have the fish go to the player instead of the other way around
    4. Have spacebar (or something else) reel in the harpoon
    5. When I got to the angler, the instructions were cut off, so I didn't know what to do

great start though, just needs some polish!

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

As others have said, its a good start... just needs tweaking and polishing.

I agree with Jonmulcahy that the fish should come to you when you reel in the harpoon.

I like that you started off with the short intro sequence that led into the gameplay.

• PHS15PHS15 Member, PRO Posts: 3

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

• UrsBucherUrsBucher Member Posts: 2

Hi, your game idea is great - I just thought about a marine theme too as a task for my students. I teach game design to middle school students. I used Gamestar Mechanic and Sploder mostly. But then we decided to try GameSalad (I have 2 teaching assistants for 2 groups of students).

• UrsBucherUrsBucher Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2020

@UrsBucher do my homework said:
    Hi, your game idea is great - I just thought about a marine theme too as a task for my students. I teach game design to middle school students. I used Gamestar Mechanic and Sploder mostly. But then we decided to try GameSalad (I have 2 teaching assistants for 2 groups of students).

I will also need to purchase the GameSalad for Education | 30 Student Classroom License Bundle. Are there any teachers here who use GameSalad's game development curriculum?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,052

@UrsBucher if you contact us for a demo request, we can send you more info on the curriculum and refer teachers

https://gamesalad.com/demo-request/