Save and load high score?!

I have a problem with a game I'm making. It's an endless runner with a timer in one corner, I have "coded" it this way": "Display text-->game.score" (I have integers for score and high score). Further I have put in a timer function, adding 1 to score for each sec (change attribute-->"game.score+1"). When the game ends the scene shifts to a "game over screen" displaying the score. In the score bar I have put in: "display text-->game.score", then a rule: when attribute game.score is higher than game.highscore, change attribute game.highscore to game.score", and save attribute "game.highscore", key: "game.highscore". On the first screen I want to display the highscore, I have put in "display text: game.highscore" and "load attribute: "game.highscore", key: "game highscore". I saw this on youtube, but I can't get it to work. The highscore bar in the initial screen just says "0". I want it to load the highest score, and to update when a new high score is achieved. Any ideas?

Comments

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Personally I've always found tables to be a lot less complicated than attributes.

Only thing I can think of is making sure you've got the behaviours displayed in the right order, or if there's a spelling / syntax error somewhere. Hard to see without a screengrab of rules.

Finally, please don't post the exact same post three times. You say you don't want to spam but that's exactly what you're doing.

• Bowhill GamesBowhill Games Member Posts: 191

@Are Skarstein Kolberg most likely you are setting your text behaviour before you have loaded you highscore attribute.

(site currently under construction)
  • NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

Yeah I'd use tables.
    You just say "save table" at your gameover screen and it automatically loads when you bootup

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

There is literally no benefit to using a table to save 1 or 2 pieces of information. It's more overhead. People need to stop being so afraid of attributes!

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@Armelline said:
    There is literally no benefit to using a table to save 1 or 2 pieces of information. It's more overhead. People need to stop being so afraid of attributes!

I agree, but I've never created a game where I only saved 1 or 2 attributes. Highscore, level progress, achievements, play stats etc. In fact, for me, there is rarely less than a dozen and it's easier for me to have everything in a table.