Some Reassurance Regarding GameSalad's Future

13»

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@RThurman said:
    On a bright note -- I hear that Austin is starting to dry out from the storms/flooding.

Yes, thankfully! We've had two straight days of sunshine here in Dallas, which I nearly forgot could even be possible. :)

• luke2125luke2125 Member, PRO Posts: 225

@PhilipCC said:

@lycettebros said:
    @jamie_c said:
    what's up with all the Flags on these posts?!

Clearly someone takes expressions of opinions about the valid religious questions as unacceptable. Sad.

@tatiang said:
    I've spoken to the person in question. Although it does appear that way, their intent wasn't to undermine religious expression. It was more about their disappointment in the critical views expressed about GameSalad, Inc. I've asked them not to continue flagging posts as spam and they've agreed.

I couldn't believe that luke2125 got flagged for this!

@luke2125 said:
    Hi ForumNinja,

Thanks for the confirmation....... :) :) :) God Bless....

Sincerely,

Sunday

He's never said anything mean or nasty about anyone.

Great you sorted it out because if the flags were coming from the top I would have cancelled my subscription immediately.

Hi PhilipCC,

I got flagged? Where is the flag? I don't see it......I think there was a misunderstanding regarding some posts.....But anyways, thanks for the support and kindness PhilipCC, God Bless you and your loved ones..... :)

Like most folks here, I'm waiting to see what the new CEO has to say about going forward with GameSalad.....I do think and this is just my humble opinion, that GameSalad will be better going forward, not that it wasn't before, I mean, we have hard working staff, and a lots of people that have contributed to this community with their tutorials, insights, etc... like T-ShirtBooth, Socks, Loast Oasis, and many others who are still here, or left to fulfill other dreams. It will get better for GameSalad.........

Sincerely,

Sunday

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2016

@luke2125 said:

I got flagged? Where is the flag? I don't see it......I think there was a misunderstanding regarding some posts.....But anyways, thanks for the support and kindness PhilipCC, God Bless you and your loved ones..... :)

Bottom left corner of your post.

@Socks got flagged for this !:

But he doesn't care. He's on top of the leader board for Spam. He wears them like a general wears medals of honour! :D

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@PhilipCC said:
    But he doesn't care. He's on top of the leader board for Spam. He wears them like a general wears medals of honour! :D

Yep, another one for my collection ! :)

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited June 2016

One of the remaining GS staff has confirmed to me what the new focus on education means going forward. The plan is to stabilise the current build, and get it fully working again, and when that is done, they plan to only add updates or new features to support the educational needs of the software.

So yup... Personal/professional users are no longer the target users, and the software is going to become simpler if anything. I've asked that they just be completely honest with everyone on the forums, so that people can make a honest and (forgive the pun) educated decision on whether the tool is going to be right for them going forward.

I can understand GS decision to go the education route, given that it looks like it was their only way to survive, but it does mean that users who were building businesses around the software are no longer a priority and are being somewhat shafted... :(

I'm still using the pre collision shapes version off the tool to finish off some games, so I'm lucky that I never updated, and can still finish things, and the older version of the tool/engine is good enough for my needs. So I guess I'm not coming off as badly as others who have updated, or who have much longer development cycles planned or who were waiting for specific features.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@Chunkypixels said:
    One of the remaining GS staff has confirmed to me what the new focus on education means going forward. The plan is to stabilise the current build, and get it fully working again, and when that is done, they plan to only add updates or new features to support the educational needs of the software.

So yup... Personal/professional users are no longer the target users, and the software is going to become simpler if anything. I've asked that they just be completely honest with everyone on the forums, so that people can make a honest and (forgive the pun) educated decision on whether the tool is going to be right for them going forward.

I can understand GS decision to go the education route, given that it looks like it was their only way to survive, but it does mean that users who were building buinesses around the software are no longer a priority and are being somewhat shafted... :(

I'm still using the pre collision shapes version off the tool to finish off some games, so I'm lucky that I never updated, and can still finish things, and the older version of the tool/engine is good enough for my needs. So I guess I'm not coming off as badly as others who have updated, or who have much longer development cycles planned or who were waiting for specific features.

Yep you could see this coming by the comments. Too bad this is a great tool. Sad it will be dumbed down. It was just starting to get powerful. Oh well.

• 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219

I'm sorry to read this...I can't start a new project without knowing what will GS be in the future for personal users.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

This is fantastic news.

Thanks GS team.

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212

@68kStudios said:
    I'm sorry to read this...I can't start a new project without knowing what will GS be in the future for personal users.

Yes the same...

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited June 2016

@Chunkypixels said:

I can understand GS decision to go the education route, given that it looks like it was their only way to survive, but it does mean that users who were building businesses around the software are no longer a priority and are being somewhat shafted... :(

Not looking good guys :( sad to see it come to this, also sad for all the users that have supported them over the years and don't forget the investors $10 million down the toilet :(

• luke2125luke2125 Member, PRO Posts: 225

@PhilipCC said:

@luke2125 said:

Bottom left corner of your post.

@Socks got flagged for this !:

Oh, I see it..... Wow, first time.......I've been reading the latest post from CodeWizard and others as well on this forum, and it seems, that Game-Salad will be more concentrating on the Educational side, which is fine......However, if this means that the developer side of the software is going to take a back seat, then, like the saying goes Arrivederci GameSalad, which means Goodbye Gamesalad......Honestly, I'm waiting for the new CEO to give the community in general details as to what the future holds of Gamesalad? Hopefully, as a community, we can get a road-map? Well, gotta go for now......God Bless Sincerely------> Sunday

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Member, PRO Posts: 486

So where's the big statement from the new CEO? Hello? Surely he's read all of this by now. We're giving GS money every month and our spare time! The air needs to be cleared now!

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

@monkeyboy simian When he has established his position I'm sure he will explain everything. Be patient and good things will happen. CodeWizard is expecting a fix for the current build to come within a week (fingers crossed).

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Member, PRO Posts: 486

I hope this all turns out. I (like so many others here) have given this my all. I really don't want to jump ship. I researched for months to arrive at GS. As far as I know, it's still the best one out there. Surely they can have two versions? A stripped down one for education and the current version? Surely it makes good financial sense to them? Mo money. and as far as the new CEO's background is concerned.. fine. Moral codes are great – just like what Apple do. So let's just get back to making games.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@jonmulcahy said:
    isn't most educational software open source ;)

That's the best suggestion yet! ;)

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
  • NekkuNekku Member Posts: 6

I'm a very new guy here, but I really, really hope I can continue developing with gamesalad. Love the tool, and my first two games are almost complete. I was sick for sometime and could not do anything, and now I'm really eager to start again, but I have to admit this situation worries me a little. Here's hoping for the best. Sorry about the long post.