State of GameSalad on June 6th 2016

13»

Comments

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263
    edited June 2016

@jay2dx With the latest OS X update, the creator grinds to a halt after 5-10 minutes due to a memory leak - I guess you were missing something. I have deadlines for 2 of my projects and obviously won't be able to deliver on them in the required time. Virtual machines are slow and cumbersome, and I don't own a PC.

@AlchimiaStudios The post from Codewizard hasn't helped ease the situation immensely at all - it just served as another deflection from a tired company looking for another "explanation."

Maybe I'm just the party pooper.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2016

@Hypnorabbit said:
    @jay2dx With the latest OS X update, the creator grinds to a halt after 5-10 minutes due to a memory leak - I guess you were missing something. I have deadlines for 2 of my projects and obviously won't be able to deliver on them in the required time. Virtual machines are slow and cumbersome, and I don't own a PC.

@AlchimiaStudios The post from Codewizard hasn't helped ease the situation immensely at all - it just served as another deflection from a tired company looking for another "explanation."

Maybe I'm just the party pooper.

Can you not downgrade your OS to Yosemite, I know it'd be a pain (you need to backup, wipe El C and reinstall the old OS) but it'd solve the issue, I'm running 1.25.54 on Mavericks (10.9.5) and Creator is as fast as it's ever been with zero issues.

And by the way . . . . and this is a general question for anyone who is having this issue not particularly you . . . I'm genuinely curious as to why people upgrade their OS at all ? This is a serious question, I'm guessing it's to run software that won't run on your current OS (for example - I had to upgrade my OS when Logic X (64bit) came out, I had no choice at the time), but beyond that I always avoid OS upgrades on a working machine (by 'working' I mean one that works just fine and one that I am using for work), it's the one thing that can brick your software, a new OS might not brick Photoshop, but suddenly half your plug-ins in Logic won't work or After Effects is running at half speed or C4D's import options are greyed out (and so on).

I've seen too many people jump on the latest OS only to see their copy of Lightwave / Maya / Final Cut (etc) doing something weird, I'll still be on Mavericks next year unless I'm forced into an upgrade !

edited June 2016

@Socks Doesn't Xcode require 10.11 El Capitan or later? So you basically don't publish any apps to the App Store if that's the case, kinda difficult for most developers. I had to upgrade to El Capitan because of this.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

@Socks -- I really have to agree with your question and statement. I really don't know why people 'upgrade' a perfectly running machine. Upgrades always break software.

I will only upgrade when everyone quits complaining that its breaking things. (Which will mean that the software can finally fix the 'upgrade'.)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@RThurman said:
    @Socks -- I really have to agree with your question and statement. I really don't know why people 'upgrade' a perfectly running machine. Upgrades always break software.

Yep, and you never quite know what it'll be, but something is inevitably effected, it might not be a compete bricking of your software but often smaller issues . . . print drivers not working, can't get the Mac to see you audio D/A converter anymore, a bunch of AE plugins are no longer compatible . . . etc etc.

@RThurman said:
    I will only upgrade when everyone quits complaining that its breaking things. (Which will mean that the software can finally fix the 'upgrade'.)

Agreed, I've only just moved from GS 12.10 to 1.25 ! :)

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285

@Hypnorabbit said:
    @Socks Doesn't Xcode require 10.11 El Capitan or later? So you basically don't publish any apps to the App Store if that's the case, kinda difficult for most developers. I had to upgrade to El Capitan because of this.

Me to, sometimes you just can't avoid updating your mac to the latest version.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

@UncloudedStudio said:

@Hypnorabbit said:

Me to, sometimes you just can't avoid updating your mac to the latest version.

you could take a backup, and then reinstall 10.11 and then go to 10.11.4. the .5 update is what broke everything, for more than just game salad.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@Hypnorabbit said:

I recently pushed a game to TestFlight using Mavericks on another machine (helping someone else). So I don't think so. But we didn't try to actually submit to the App Store yet.

@jonmulcahy I mainly work with photoshop, illustrator, premiere pro and blender and I was afraid that something was going to break after updating but everything is working without any problems. So in my case there is only one thing that isn't working.

@UncloudedStudio said:
    @jonmulcahy I mainly work with photoshop, illustrator, premiere pro and blender and I was afraid that something was going to break after updating but everything is working without any problems. So in my case there is only one thing that isn't working.

yea, in most cases that was fine, but I heard there was a lot of older audio software that was just abandoned after 10.11.5 because of the changes it made.

@jonmulcahy I did not want to upgrade because I was happily running Yosemite but then my macbook suddenly died due to a failing graphic card but luckily it got fixed free of charge by apple. https://apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

So when I reinstalled Yosemite and tried to download xcode it gave me the message that i needed to upgrade to El Capitan and I couldn't find/download a version of xcode for Yosemite.

Xcode was working :) Gamesalad crashed :( Bummer.

@jonmulcahy A warning from GS not upgrade to El Capitan would have been nice. I don't understand why there isn't a sticky on the forum warning the community and new users about the issue. e.g. DO NOT UPGRADE TO EL CAPITAN GS WILL BREAK!

Seeing a few comment from users who are wanting their money back or feeling scammed when they bought a sub for the first time.

edited June 2016

Right @Armelline. Well it would be interesting to see if you could post to the App Store with Mavericks. I just botched a 10.11.3 install and have been spending the afternoon trying to find a fix. But alas, all my USBs must be defunct.

Look forward to that creator fix :star:

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

I'm not at my desk, so can't check what version of Xcode I have, or the exact version of GS(its pre-collision shapes build from at least a year ago) but I submitted an app to the AppStore from Mavericks last week and it got approved first time with no issues, so I'd suggest you don't have to be on El Capitan to publish to the AppStore.

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

When you press "Generate" on the GS publishing server then the GS build server will build your .app using the Xcode version that GS have installed on their build server. Your local Xcode installation is not used at all for this so you can actually use a quite old Xcode version on your own computer without any problems. The only thing that is done locally is the signing process.

You can send your app to Apple using a quite old version of "Application Loader" also. The main difference is that in the older versions you need your .app to be zipped first. When using the newest Application Loader (shipped with the newer Xcode versions) it expects our .app to be located in a "Payload" folder and then the Payload folder should be zipped and then renamed to "Your Appname.ipa".

So yeah, no real need to have the latest Xcode version when creating an app for iOS using GS as long as you know what you're doing.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611
    edited June 2016

Oh I see guys, sorry I've not upgraded at all, I only upgrade if something doesn't work, I don't need to publish yet so I'm sitting cool so far, pretty harsh that this is happening to you guys, can you role back or even install windows in boot camp! I have that set up just incase something like that happens to me, but I never ever instal OS X or other updates unless something requires it that I need to use,

I Always go by the rule, your operating system is only the platform for your tools you use to create stuff, if photoshop or GS etc ain't broke don't update anything!

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Xcode is the main reason for OSX updates. I use Xcode outside of GameSalad so for me Xcode updates sometimes force me to upgrade my OSX. Previously I had Xcode auto update until it cost me a new machine and that was the last straw that broke the camels back. Now I only update Xcode to suit my work load (normally when a new Apple TV OS or new iOS Version is released and I need to support it).

The bottom line is if you have Xcode on your machine only for GS, you don't need to keep updating it to use GS. Turn auto updates off and don't upgrade Xcode or your your OSX and you won't be bullied into upgrading beyond your machines spec. However this recent update to El Capitan is unavoidable. It wasn't a new OS, just an update to it which isn't normally an issue as it's just a security update, improvement or bug fix. So I can see why so many of you upgraded to it. (I would have too but my computer kept prompting me and I kept clicking tomorrow as I didn't want to restart my computer at that time!) it was only because I read here in the forum about the update breaking GS.

So thank you to all who warned everyone else here on the forums whilst the GS staff closed their eyes so we couldn't see them.

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

Everyone should go learn game maker and unity as a back up, I've been doing this while still sticking with game salad as I really do love the software, There pretty easy to be honest though so I wouldn't worry too much, I'd say a month or 2 of solid tutorials and you'll be good to go

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 438

No. You don't need El Capitan to run Xcode to publish. I don't have any current apps using GameSalad, but I have plenty of native apps that I update constantly and I still am running 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Do we have a timeline of how long the publishing servers will be up, etc?

Is there going to be a time when we can't publish to any platforms anymore?

What does it all mean?

I've been paying my Pro subscription monthly for the last who knows how long, and I need to finish my game before the ship sinks.

A timeline would be nice. :)

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Hymloe said:

The publishing servers are not closing, the ship is not sinking. :wink:

@Hymloe said:

What does it all mean?

I've been paying my Pro subscription monthly for the last who knows how long, and I need to finish my game before the ship sinks.

Where did you read Gamesalad was shutting down??

@Hymloe said:

What does it all mean?

Here is the introduction of the new CEO, and a few posts from other GS staff spread through the entire thread.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/92354/new-ceo-introduction/p1

@jonmulcahy said:

@Hymloe said:

What does it all mean?

Where did you read Gamesalad was shutting down??

I was more thinking that an emphasis on education doesn't sound like publishing games to stores is really gonna be relevant anymore. Surely, with the tiny team they have, things like Tizen will start to drop off, and perhaps other publishing platforms may start drying up, too...

Also, an emphasis on education sounds like a last ditch effort to change direction AGAIN, and if it doesn't work.... .... if other platforms are preferred by educational institutions, and Game Salad can't get a foothold there.... .... well, I think you know what I'm saying...

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

There are long threads discussing these worries.

It is very unlikely that educational institutions would want to use a tool which hasn't the possibility to publish to (at least the major) platforms. Also, the GS team has expressed continued support and updates as new OS releases come along. Really nothing to worry about in this regard, in my opinion.

I don't think the emphasis on education is necessarily a change in direction in the same sense as in the past. The truth is that GS is a great tool to teach programming logic and has been for a long time. Actually tapping into that market properly and gaining some stable revenue streams from there is the best way forward. It should mean enough money to hire more people and get feature updates that will actually work bug-free when released (since you cannot possibly release buggy updates to the educational market, that would be suicide).

Let's hope so.