Glowing Campfire

3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I have a fire in the middle of my scene, with players and trees around it.
I'm thinking of using an animated png glow with 10 frames or so that cover pretty much the entire scene.
The glow will be white and have an descending value of RGB and Alhpa from the center of the campfire.
The RGB of the animated illumination (glow) will be blended (additive) with the background and actors so that they appear affected by the campfire's light.
The RGB of the glow will be added to the RGB of the surroundings and hence will appear in this very dark environment.
Any suggestions on how to make this effect better, or even a different approach please share your thoughts.

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

It's hard to judge on what to do to make something better from just a text description (for me at least), if you have a video of the fire that would help more.

I have a free fire and smoke particle effect on my website if that is of any use to you.

http://www.imaginelabs.rocks/?product=fire-and-smoke-particle-effects

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

The idea is that the glow image's RGB would add with the Background's RGB so that a background with
    R=0.5
    G=0.5
    B=0.5

adds with the glow in a way where things close to the fire would appear very similar to the original picture (The RGB of the background then becomes something like 0.9 near the fire and 0.6 at the edge of the screen)

Is this possible with the blending modes, or do I have to use a different approach?

I've tried attaching a GS file here but it's not working (I get a message that says I cannot upload more than 20 files)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@abuabed84 said:
    I've tried attaching a GS file here but it's not working (I get a message that says I cannot upload more than 20 files)

Did you zip/compress the GS file first ?

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@abuabed84 said:
    The idea is that the glow image's RGB would add with the Background's RGB so that a background with
    R=0.5
    G=0.5
    B=0.5

adds with the glow in a way where things close to the fire would appear very similar to the original picture (The RGB of the background then becomes something like 0.9 near the fire and 0.6 at the edge of the screen)

'Add' doesn't work like this, it adds RGB values, assuming the glow is a soft edged circle (with white in the middle) the middle will 'burn out' while the black on the outer area of the glow will have no effect on the underlying image (black = 0, orginal colour + ('add') 0 = orginal colour).

• demyguydemyguy Member, PRO Posts: 13

You could give all your actors a bit of alpha transparency, say 0.8-0.9, place them on a dark background and have the glow png between the actors and the background. This way the glow will make them appear brighter, simulating light

Interaction designer, blogger, game developer, sometimes tech enthusiast and sometimes tech pessimist. World champion of tsundoku. @damianogui