Work in progress Platform Game

IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
edited June 2016 in Announce Your Game!

Hello :) I began working on a new game , and I think ill finally stick to this project , wanted to share my progress. Unfortunately I will have to re do everything cause of the app size. This is a short test scene, i will add more later on.. Anyway hope you like it! and feel free to share your thoughts and tips to improve. Thanks!

Soundtrack by Eric Matyas

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looks really nice ! :)

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354

Nice parallax background. Good luck

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Thanks alot ! :)

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited June 2016
  • gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Very nice use of parallax there @Icebox

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285

@Icebox Looks very nice!
    It reminded me of Disney for some reason.

Thanks alot guys, appreciate it ! :)

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

Looking good! Like the slow moving camera when you stop.

Good luck!

Thanks alot for all your feedback!

I am now working on resizing the images , This short scene is a 26 mb apk , I made all the images in photoshop but each exported image is 1.3 - 3 mb in size , i tried tinypng but it made the quality look bad. So I copied all the images from photoshop to adobe flash and compressed the jpg quality to 70 % and exported as png , it looks the same and it reduced the size from 2.2 mb to 263 kb :) so i reduced all the images from 20 mb to 5 mbs . I dont know if this is a good way , but it works well for me on device + the size was reduced . Now ill start drawing characters and will try to draw trees , Bushes , Animations.

@KevinCross said:
    Looking good! Like the slow moving camera when you stop.

Good luck!

I didn't spot the dampening on the camera at first, very nice, all those little details really help the feel of a game like this.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Looking great!

• tomciomalinatomciomalina Member Posts: 19

Looks amazing

• The BaronThe Baron Member, PRO Posts: 30

Looks pretty awesome, can't wait to see the final product.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Stunning artwork - looking forward to seeing how it progresses

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited June 2016

i like thats not too much things going on so the player can first bound with the character
    than I would step by step introduce what ever you have planned.

nice parallax effect!

maybe make the very top of the walkable platforms a bit brighter to get some contrast vs background

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

I like it! You definitely got the background artwork down for making it look far away and not distracting. I was going to say that I think the foreground needs to be brighter. But maybe Dave is right about just the top of it brighter, I think some brightness in the foreground would help a bit

Thanks for your feedback! I didnt have this in mind , ill look into it ,and ill see what i can do :)

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    I like it! You definitely got the background artwork down for making it look far away and not distracting. I was going to say that I think the foreground needs to be brighter.

If anything I'd make the background lighter, the further away something is the more washed out and blue it becomes as blue light from the sun scatters in the atmosphere.

@Socks oh this looks much better ! I felt something is wrong but i didnt know what it is ill have to change this now and see how it goes

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@socks ah yes that is better

edited June 2016

I made the background lighter here

I made the background lighter and i lit the ground but the problem is i always get different results from each device , on iphone its dark , on android its super bright, on creator the colors are different and on youtube is different too. I added some plants and mushrooms

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

The lighter background really makes a positive difference! Looking great!

@Icebox said:
    I made the background lighter and i lit the ground but the problem is i always get different results from each device, on iphone its dark , on android its super bright . . .

Yep, there is no consistent gamma value between devices, this will always happen with any media, not just GameSalad.

You need to find a good compromise (or maybe even detect the device and adjust accordingly), some colours will suffer more than others.

@Icebox said:
    on creator the colors are different . . .

That will be down to your monitor settings, if for example you make your monitor's gamma to 2.2 everything will appear dark on screen, so you are likely to compensate by making your images brighter / lighter . . . . and then when they are put onto a device (that doesn't have a gamma setting of 2.2) they will appear super bright / light !

@Icebox said:
    and on youtube is different too.

This almost doesn't mean anything ! :) There are so many factors here, the screen capture software you used the make the movie, the codec you compressed your movie with, the encoding Youtube does, the monitor you are watching Youtube on . . . and so on.

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

@Icebox Looks awesome! Got a story to the game yet?

@jamie_c Yea it looks better now ! :) glad you like it

@Socks Your right i just saw the video on quick time the colors where different and on vlc it looked different, same goes when i viewed the video on blackberry and on an android device dark/light. These things are complicated i dont get them. I will adjust accordingly to each device but my problem comes with ipad 3 and iphone 5s , cause the app is universal so i cant change the colors to look the same, with android its possible. I'll try and look into it, and thanks for the tip with the background it looks much better now ! :)

@GreenfroggGames Thanks yes I have a nice little story , ill make this a platform/ rpg similar to swordigo. First 3-4 scenes will be intro to the story then the adventure starts.

edited June 2016

@Icebox said:
    These things are complicated i dont get them. my problem comes with ipad 3 and iphone 5s , cause the app is universal so i cant change the colors to look the same

I'd basically choose a good quality screen as your reference - and let everything be a compromise based around your reference screen (or adjust for particularly light/dark devices) - your iPad 3 is ideal as a reference as all iPads from the 3 onwards have a pretty much full color gamut (99% I think), so colours are saturated and pretty accurate, iPads prior to the 3 (so just the 1 and the 2) have a pretty restricted colour gamut (something like 65%), so the colours are undersaturated and generally not very accurate. An ideal combination would be an iPad 3 (onwards) and a (calibrated!) iMac as they're a very good match colour-wise.

There shouldn't really be any discrepancies worth worrying about between an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5s, they should be very close to each other. The same is true for all Retina iDevices, a GS project should look pretty much the same on all of them.

But first, calibrate your monitor.