MMORPG

3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I have an MMORPG in mind that will probably require a couple of years of development.
I tried looking into Multiplayer on GS using your own servers and just got confused.
I see Multiplayer -Beta- on the main screen when opening a new project, I really don't know what that is.
I'm wondering will there be a time when making a multiplayer on GS will be as easy as making a single player, without all the confusion and hassle?

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

GameSalad would not be good for a realtime MMO.

GameSalad is best suited for async multiplayer (turn based). If you're looking for building something turn based (something modeled after a board game, like the old Trade Wars BBS game), then GameSalad might work. But it would not be good for what is currently considered an MMO (real time multiple players on a screen all doing stuff).

GameSalad's network capabilities are based on HTTP request. GameSalad can make a request to the server to send data and a separate request to the server to get data. How this translates into a game is having GameSalad poll the server to see if it's the player's turn. When you know it's their turn, you update the game state and let them make their turn locally on the device. When the turn is done, you send the turn "moves" to the server and repeat the loop.

I hope that helps!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

Also, on the likelihood that someone does't know what Trade Wars is... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_Wars

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited June 2016
  • 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I don't need real time in my game, and it's not turn based.
    What I need is for my game to have a tables that are mutual between players that when one player changes its value the change occurs for all players in the game.

technical example:
    player one does something in the game that changes the value of
    table 1 row 1 column 1 to 10
    that value then instantly becomes 10 for all the other players.

That's the only functionality I need for this multiplayer, is mutual tables across players that are saved online.
    Each group of players have their own little space that is accessed/changed on a server.

I'm pretty sure with that simple functionality you can do wonders for multiplayer games.
    Pretty much everything I need.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2016

@abuabed84 said:
    I don't need real time in my game, and it's not turn based.
    What I need is for my game to have a tables that are mutual between players that when one player changes its value the change occurs for all players in the game.

technical example:
    player one does something in the game that changes the value of
    table 1 row 1 column 1 to 10
    that value then instantly becomes 10 for all the other players.

That's the only functionality I need for this multiplayer, is mutual tables across players that are saved online.
    Each group of players have their own little space that is accessed/changed on a server.

Instantly is not a word to be used when networking is involved, unless were talking about quantum entanglement being used to send data =P

There is always a delay, more so when it has to "get" and "send" instead of an open stream. But yeah, you could set up a table to be shared from a server to all players within a reasonable update time.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Another thing to consider is that people are going to try and send bad data to your server, or fake data to make themselves stronger/better in-game. Some people are going to be on slow internet connection and may send data that is old data and needs to be updated before the merge or it will cause problems. While some will have ultra fast internet.

There is a lot of server side code to consider for parsing and serving the data/preventing cheats/manipulation.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

There is a lot of server side code to consider for parsing and serving the data/preventing cheats/manipulation.

Let's call every group of players a "room".
    If the room 1 & 2 can't effect each other in anyway during gameplay then I wouldn't mind people cheating in a game since their cheat is bounded by the rooms they're playing in.
    BUT
    If rooms are interconnected with one another and let's say there is a mutual table for an auction of selling/buying items and equipment.
    Then I definitely would have to ensure the security of the servers.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to work on this project alone, especially since I'm not a programmer.