[FREE APP DOWNLOAD] Developer Tools for GameSalad®

TheFluxTheFlux Member Posts: 22

Hello fellow GameSalad® developers!

I want to introduce "Developer Tools for GameSalad®" to you.

Recently I had the idea to integrate my most used GameSalad® services into a simple app so I can access GSHelper.com and other stuff on the GameSalad® homepage on my smartphone through an app rather than through a browser.

Out of this basic idea I created GameSalad®, and added a lot more services into the app like bitbucket, github, Google Play Developer Console and so on. This is the first version! The next version will have complete material design made in Google Android Studio with a lot more features and API integrations.

You can download it from Google Play at:

{FREE AD-SUPPORTED VERSION}

https://play.google.com/store/apps/space.theflux.developer.tools.gamesalad.free

{PAID AD-FREE VERSION}

https://play.google.com/store/apps/space.theflux.developer.tools.gamesalad

A complete description you can find below!

Please use this forum thread for any type of bug reports and also for any wishes for future integrations!

THX and enjoy!

Nash

Welcome to Developer Tools for GameSalad®! [[BETA]]

Developer Tools for GameSalad® combines all developer-important parts of the official GameSalad® websites in one simple easy-to-navigate app.

Access all your GameSalad® services and stuff from within the app, get rid of having to navigate inside the browser and focus on the important things only. You can access the following sites and services from within the app.

GameSalad® Services:

• Homepage
  • GSHelper
  • Forums
  • Support
  • Documentation
  • Tutorials
  • Cookbook
  • Knowledge Base
  • GameSalad® Facebook Page
  • GameSalad® YouTube Channel
  • GameSalad® Twitter

Developer related sites and services:

• GitHub
  • Bitbucket
  • SourceForge
  • Google Play Developer Console
  • Apple Developer Account
  • Amazon Appstore Developer
  • Google Search
  • Google Play Store
  • Envato Market Integration

Legal Disclaimer: Developer Tools for GameSalad® is not affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by GameSalad Inc., Google Inc., Apple Inc., Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, GitHub, Bitbucket, SourceForge or Envato.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Legal Disclaimer: Developer Tools for GameSalad® is not affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by GameSalad Inc., Google Inc., Apple Inc., Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, GitHub, Bitbucket, SourceForge or Envato.

You should know that GameSalad took a very firm stand against using their name, logo, etc. on any unofficial products. I'd recommend checking in with them via the chat icon at the bottom-right of the forums page to make sure you aren't violating any user agreements.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Cool idea, but yeah what @tatiang said. Although it looks like you went through the effort of adding the rights reserved to any mentions of it.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• TheFluxTheFlux Member Posts: 22

Yes, that should be all fine. I have made similar apps for other software and went through endless changes necessary to satisfy Google's needs in regards to use of trademarked logos and brand names. One issue is to always put the brand name after any other content in the title like with this title and to adhere to each brands own rules in regards to logo use and trademarks. GameSalad has its' guidelines here: https://gamesalad.com/press-kit

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited June 2016

Like I already wrote I adhere to the mentioned rules. The App doesn't contain the GameSalad logo in its own logo, there are only two icons in the apps' navigation bar, by GameSalad and GSHelper.com. This is common practice for "supplementary software like smartphone apps". I also adhere to the following general rule:

"Basically, the idea is that you can't imply that you are affiliated with GameSalad or are making money selling a "GameSalad product". If you are making products "using" or "for" GameSalad then that's probably okay. If you're not sure, just ask us!"

In general, I think it's a good discussion here, as it makes clear to users that a product they consider to use, is not violating trademark and copyright laws.

I also have apps for other professional game development software running where same rules apply. The main point is always that such supplementary product has its own clear branding and is not implying any affiliation to the product / brand it's created for.

When submitting an app to Google Play, these are a few guidelines and rules that Google already has in place, if you don't comply to these rules an app will not go live in the first place at all:

"[Choose your] app title so that it doesn’t imply an official relationship with an existing product or service. Read through the Impersonation article for more details. For example, you can note relevance at the end of your app title.

Incorrect: “Ingress Guide”
    Correct: “Guide for Ingress”

Make sure your app is compliant with the Impersonation and Intellectual Property policy and all other policies listed in the Developer Program Policies. Remember that additional enforcement could occur if there are further policy issues with your apps."

https://play.google.com/about/developer-content-policy/

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

So the upside to this is that I get to have a link to GSHelper, the forums and some other sites?

But it's better because it's in an app not a browser? But the app is basically a browser that's limited to only a few sites? But unlike a browser I also have ads in there? Or I get to pay?

Don't get me wrong, but why on earth would I want that, rather than say, bookmarks on my current browser? That is free, and doesn't have ads?

edited June 2016

I use apps because it keeps me focused on that what I achieve with an app. I am not bothered by other stuff that is unrelated to GameSalad in this case. I save a lot of time when I don't have a screen full of unrelated stuff, bookmarks from other sites and so on.

The app is not a fully commercial product, I created it mainly for myself but decided to put it on Google Play for others as well. I don't expect to make a million with it.

It contains ads, but only Facebook Audience Network ads at the bottom of the app, NO INTERSTITIALS or Full-Screen ads that block the user experience. The paid app is simply ad-free.

The first app of this kind I made for Unity 3D, so I integrated versioning services like GitHub and Bitbucket as lots of game developers use such for work on projects. I also created an app for GameSalad, as I made my first games with it.

I have some good feedback for my app for Unity and people also use it professionally.

Important to note is that this is the first version, next versions for all platforms will be made completely in material design in Android Studio and will have certain API integrations for simplifying professional game development.

edited June 2016

The main problem with creating a supplementary app is that there is literally no way for third party developers to include something else than "embedded websites for those parts of an app that only the product itself could integrate as more than just that" :) Only GameSalad could make an app that is API integrated like docs, tutorials and forum directly connected to the main site. It's still the same use, it's just another type of fashion.

I mainly created these apps at all as none of the game development software companies have an official app out in the appstores. So I made my own ones. ;)

Differently with other stuff for the next versions, whenever there are ways to API integrate any given service, I will do so and will replace embedded websites with direct API integrations.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Hmmm! I've been in the marketing and BS business for a long time. Something here making me a bit itchy and restless? >:)

@imjustmike said:
    So the upside to this is that I get to have a link to GSHelper, the forums and some other sites?

But it's better because it's in an app not a browser? But the app is basically a browser that's limited to only a few sites? But unlike a browser I also have ads in there? Or I get to pay?

Don't get me wrong, but why on earth would I want that, rather than say, bookmarks on my current browser? That is free, and doesn't have ads?

100% on the money!

How many people will use it do you think? Do you see so much potential in this app that you think it must be 100% for the money?

From a guy in the marketing business is this rather a compliment to the simplicity of the idea than what you probably want others to believe.

May I ask what your point is in regards to double posting competitive content to my product. From business person to business person, this is really the wrong place for such "competitive business conduct" like you put on the table here. Why don't you let the people decide if they like it or not? Do you put 100% free games on the market and if so, do you require a game or app developer to be like that for any reason.

Seems you just can't stand that someone potentially makes money with a product that is actually known to be useful for many people.

Again, what is wrong with "for the money" at all?

Last but not least, thank you for your wonderful comments, this from a professional in the marketing business means a lot, is a wonderful show that this product is definitely worth "the money it costs".

Maybe you just feel that someone else had this idea and not you and it bothers you. I don't know but again, THX for the heads up to my new product! ;)

[No, I won't add more to this topic in this discussion, I have big business marketing stuff for my huge money maker GameSala® app to do...ha ha ha]

Wonderful! :)

@TheFlux I think you may have misunderstood, or you are not familiar with that expression.

"100% on the money" means someone is correct.

All I was saying is that @imjustmike summed up your offer accurately.

Anyway, if you think someone will buy it, go for it, and good luck to you. ;)