no timed animations?!

smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

If i drop a sound effect in a timer object to play every 3 seconds it works just fine.

But if i say animate the actor every 3 seconds it doesn't work?!

Any ideas?

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited June 2016

@smurfted

The animate behavior has never worked inside an "every x" timer. It does work with "for x" and "after x" timers though.

Roll your own timer to solve this:

Change Attribute self.LastTime = game.Time

Rule: If game.Time >= self.Time + 3

Animate Behavior

Timer: After (length of animation)

Change Attribute self.LastTime = game.Time

End Timer

End Rule

In 1.25.x you can use the Current Frame Attribute from the Animation Behavior to know when the animation is done, and then reset the self.LastTime.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Hopscotch said:
    @smurfted

The animate behavior has never worked inside an "every x" timer. It does work with "for x" and "after x" timers though.

You can also cheat it like this:

Every 3 seconds
    --After 0 seconds
    ----Animate

edited June 2016

@Socks said:
    You can also cheat it like this:

Yep, then remember to set "Run to Completion On" in the "After 0s" Timer.

However, timers are wildly inaccurate now, always being up to a few tenths of a second off the mark.

Timing with rules as per my suggestion solves this.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

You are both beautiful people who deserve wildly more than this thank you.

Thank you.

@Hopscotch said:
    However, timers are wildly inaccurate now, always being up to a few tenths of a second off the mark.

Is that to do with the code cycle now being locked to 1/60th of a second ?

My pleasure @smurfted

@Socks said:
    Is that to do with the code cycle now being locked to 1/60th of a second ?

Beats me.

Just to show how variable the timer is, the following shows ticks created with identical interval timers, spawned from a moving actor. The top uses the Rule method, the bottom uses a standard timer.

Another thought, considering the educational focus, it may be a good thing to address these unintuitive inconsistencies, like animations working in some timers and not in others? @ForumNinja

edited June 2016

@Hopscotch said:
    Beats me.

Just to show how variable the timer is, the following shows ticks created with identical interval timers, spawned from a moving actor. The top uses the Rule method, the bottom uses a standard timer.

I suspect it is related to the quantization of the code cycle, when this was first implemented a few months back I talked to Codewizard about how a fixed frame rate would effect the animate behaviour - some animate frame rates cannot evenly divide into a 1/60th" 'grid' . . . for example whereas a 1/60th" 'grid' can happily accommodate a 30fps frame rate (2 code cycles for every 1 animation frame), a frame rate of 29fps would have to be spread across the 1/60th" 'grid' something like this:

frame 1 - held for 2/60th"
    frame 2 - held for 2/60th"
    frame 3 - held for 2/60th"
    frame 4 - held for 2/60th"
    frame 5 - held for 3/60th"
    frame 6 - held for 2/60th"

. . . . etc . . . I expect the same is true for Timers under this new scheme as they are subject to the same 1/60th" 'grid', I expect you could get your Rule / Timer methods to both produce consistent results if the spawn rate is evenly divisible by 60.

*The rate at which the spawner actor is moving will also be a factor.

EDIT: quick example attached of a consistent timer example:

edited June 2016

@Socks

That is leading the witness, spawning every 0 seconds with a timer, off a move'd actor, where both are tied to the frame timer, WILL give a smooth result. :)

Change your timer to every 1s, 0.5s, etc, anything that fits the 1/60th frame rate, and you will again see the variable nature.

edited June 2016

@Hopscotch said:
    That is leading the witness . . . .

I suspect the witness' testimony is unreliable, and he's possibly been drinking.

@Hopscotch said:
    spawning every 0 seconds with a timer, off a move'd actor, where both are tied to the frame timer, WILL give a smooth result. :)

Yes ! That's my point, with the new locked / quantized code cycles you need to calculate things like timers and animation frame rates so that they sit on whole frame (code cycle) values.

@Hopscotch said:
    Change your timer to every 1s, 0.5s, etc, anything that fits the 1/60th frame rate, and you will again see the variable nature.

You just need to lower the time value so it's just below the divisible value . . . . so whereas with 0.05 you'll give the variable result, 0.0499 will give you a smooth result.

Basically, I think the timers are fine, they are firing at a consistent rate, but the changes to the code cycle (now locked to 1/60) causes issues if you don't get every synced.

edited June 2016

@Socks said:
    You just need to lower the time value so it's just below the divisible value . . . . so whereas with 0.05 you'll give the variable result, 0.0499 will give you a smooth result.

I guess this will make the difference between an A and an A+ score in entry level educational courses.

@Hopscotch said:
    I guess this will make the difference between an A and an A+ score in entry level educational courses.

I will sell these secrets to the students.