Need help with a change scene (i think) problem

tuftyfellatuftyfella Member, BASIC Posts: 17
edited June 2016 in Working with GS (PC)

hi, so here i go, new here so bare with me please.

i'm making a game (obviously) which is a bit of a dungeon crawler and have combined the Dual Joystick template with Jamie Cross' connecting dungeon rooms which is working pretty great i think.

now, iv'e added a start screen with a 'play' button which leads to a makeshift map with a further button on a castle lets say that takes me to the first room of a dungeon. all this seems to work fine until i move the player with the joystick to the exit trigger which should take me to room 2 of the dungeon. it does not, it takes me straight back to the map screen.

i'm not quite sure why this happens as the buttons are not part of the table in which all the dungeon rooms are exits/ entrances are stored.

any help to solve this would be much appreciated, thanks for reading. :)

quick mini edit
i should add i could solve this by making, instead of smaller rooms, one large one map dungeon (used Tiled program to make the rooms manually) which i have saved also, but i just prefer the single room style, somewhat like the game The Binding of Isaac on PC.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

In order to solve most issues, we need to see your rules. Post a screenshot of the Change Scene behavior you are using and include any details specific to that.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• tuftyfellatuftyfella Member, BASIC Posts: 17

its pretty straight forward what iv'e done, i think its right, but i'm new to GameSalad so i may well be wrong. iv'e done the following basically...

Play (Button) -> Map

Rule
    touch is: inside

do
    change Scene
    go to: Map

Map (Button) -> Dungeon Room 1 (where the joysticks then appear with player etc)

Rule
    touch is: inside

do
    change scene
    go to: Dungeon Room 1

hope this is enough to go on. :)

You said that you move the player to the exit trigger:

i move the player with the joystick to the exit trigger which should take me to room 2 of the dungeon. it does not, it takes me straight back to the map screen.

But now you're saying that you touch a button actor. Are you using a collision rule at all?

Also, where is the rule that changes scene to Dungeon Room 2 as you had mentioned?

A screenshot of the scene would be helpful, too. You can upload it to a file-sharing site and then post the link here. Or just post a link to the project file or slimmed down file (removing anything you don't want people to see) as a .zip file.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited June 2016

edited :)

And how are you verifying the value of self.row at that point? Are you using a Display Text or Log Debugging Statement, for example? Based on those, what is the value of that attribute at that point (just before the Change Scene behavior)?

erm, i figured out what the problem was. it turns out that because i added the menu and map scenes to the start of the scenes list (so they're in order of how they would be in game) my scene column on the table was off by 2.

i'm probably going a bit beyond what i should be for a first game but i kind of like jumping in the deep end.

i appreciate the help offered though tatiang, its very much appreciated. :)

You're welcome! Glad you figured it out. Tables are a great way to get into GameSalad and also provide a steady stream of challenges. ;)