Animated Loading Bar or Screen for start-up

fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565
edited July 2016 in Working with GS (PC)

Hi folks, so as I've mentioned in an earlier post I have really long loading time at start-up (30-40 sec). Is there a way to create an animated loading bar or screen so the user knows that it is actually loading and not just simply stuck?

Comments

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

No. You can upload a static screen but that's it.

Might want to look into ways to reduce your load time instead. There's load of info in the forums on how to do that.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@imjustmike Shame. I've done that. Reduced the size of my actors, cleaned up code, removed a lot of unneeded settings, not preloading stuff etc but I'm still way off. I have large tables though and I've posted a question regarding them.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited July 2016

@fmakawa Are you testing on an old device ? did you try several devices to check if they have the same loading time, I never had a 30-40 seconds loading time even with older GS builds , it might be your device.

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

Just a thought... is the startup load screen slow due to what's on the first scene? Is that what slows it down or is it loading all scenes, tables, attributes and graphics etc. in one go? If it's due to the first scene can you replace the first scene with a smaller scene that moves to your main game scene after x seconds?

Like I say this is just a thought. I could well be and most probably wrong.

It a new device. One of those Huawei one's. Quite powerful. And I asked a few other people to test and they had the same thing.

@fmakawa said:
    @imjustmike Shame. I've done that. Reduced the size of my actors, cleaned up code, removed a lot of unneeded settings, not preloading stuff etc but I'm still way off. I have large tables though and I've posted a question regarding them.

Well already placed a loading at the beginning which has nothing on it. So I suppose its because its loading all scenes, tables etc in one go. Is there a way to prevent that?

@KevinCross said:
    Just a thought... is the startup load screen slow due to what's on the first scene? Is that what slows it down or is it loading all scenes, tables, attributes and graphics etc. in one go? If it's due to the first scene can you replace the first scene with a smaller scene that moves to your main game scene after x seconds?

Like I say this is just a thought. I could well be and most probably wrong.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

Is your scene a single scene game? People often recommend using a single scene where possible, but in big games it can be a really really bad idea.

Nope, I have about 10 scenes and only four of those deal with the large tables (if they are the problem)

@Armelline said:
    Is your scene a single scene game? People often recommend using a single scene where possible, but in big games it can be a really really bad idea.

There are many many things that can affect loading times. Try saving a copy of the project, then deleting the big tables. See what the loading times are then. That'll tell you how much impact the big tables are having.

Nope, its not single scene. about 8 scenes in total.

@Armelline said:
    There are many many things that can affect loading times. Try saving a copy of the project, then deleting the big tables. See what the loading times are then. That'll tell you how much impact the big tables are having.

@fmakawa said:
    Nope, its not single scene. about 8 scenes in total.

@Armelline said:

Scenes have nothing to do with that suggestion :D

that was an error!