Someone please explain this to me

Dylan84Dylan84 Member Posts: 12
edited July 2016 in Miscellaneous

Ok so I've heard that you need to make your image assets divisible by 4 and also size them 3 times your intended actor size (if your making in on the iPhone 6 screen in GS). So say I have an actor called "wall" and say I have 50 different sized walls in my game. I would have to create a different actor for each different sized wall and also resize the image for said wall for every different size? If thats the case I don't understand how you guys do it.

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@dbell said:
    Ok so I've heard that you need to make your image assets divisible by 4

You don't have to, it's just a recomendation for optimal image quality in certain situations, but there are as many (if not more) situations where it wouldn't really matter whether your image asset was divisible by 4 or not.

@dbell said:
    and also size them 3 times your intended actor size (if your making in on the iPhone 6 screen in GS).

This is only applicable for the iPhone6 Plus, every other project setting (iPad, iPad min, iPhone5 . . . etc) should, ideally, have image assets twice the resolution of your actor.

@dbell said:
    say I have an actor called "wall" and say I have 50 different sized walls in my game. I would have to create a different actor for each different sized wall and also resize the image for said wall for every different size? If thats the case I don't understand how you guys do it.

What process would you be using to resize the wall images ?

• Dylan84Dylan84 Member Posts: 12

@Socks said:

For my first game, the one I'm currently working on, I'm getting my image assets from free asset websites such as "Kenney.nl". I'm then resizing them in Inkscape.

@Socks said:
    This is only applicable for the iPhone6 Plus, every other project setting (iPad, iPad min, iPhone5 . . . etc) should, ideally, have image assets twice the resolution of your actor.

Well what project setting should I make my game on if I'm publishing it to iOS & Android and want it to be available for as many devices as possible?

@dbell said:
    @Socks said:

For my first game, the one I'm currently working on, I'm getting my image assets from free asset websites such as "Kenney.nl". I'm then resizing them in Inkscape.

I'm not sure what kind of interpolation Inkscape uses when resizing an image, but I'd imagine it's some form of bilinear or bicubic . . . probably not much different to the interpolation GameSalad uses when an image is stretched . . . so, back to the question . . .

"say I have an actor called "wall" and say I have 50 different sized walls in my game. I would have to create a different actor for each different sized wall and also resize the image for said wall for every different size?”

I would just use the same image for each wall unless the sizes vary a lot, but even if the sizes do vary a lot (let's say the sizes range from 100% to 200%), then you can probably cover all 50 sizes with 2 or 3 image assets.

edited July 2016

@dbell said:
    Well what project setting should I make my game on if I'm publishing it to iOS & Android and want it to be available for as many devices as possible?

Most people tend to go for an iPad setting if they are aiming to build a universal app, but an iPhone6 or iPhone6plus might be a good choice if you are primarily targeting 16:9 phones.

Thansk!