Is it possible to set up a referral strategy marketing?

ohtukrwohtukrw Sir dogeMember Posts: 106

Player joins game, tweets about it, gets random code, opens a certain item. Would that be possible? :)

Comments

• ohtukrwohtukrw Sir doge Member Posts: 106

Has this ever been done with GS? It is one of the strongest marketing techiques :neutral:

edited July 2016

Is it possible to implement this with tweet sheet?
    I have read that when iphone user press the button, with tweet sheet behaviour, it automatically tweets the message?
    So you could unlock the item when the button is pressed?

How about android users? Does it tweet automatically or prompts a screen?

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

This isn't possible with GS alone, but is pretty easy. It has three parts.

Part 1. In GS use tweetsheet (or use the URL behaviour) to get the user to tweet a phrase.
    Part 2. You need a script to listen out for mentions on twitter (probably using a hashtag) and automatically reply with the codes.
    Part 3. Text input behaviour in GS that checks against a table with the codes. If it matches, unlock item.

The middle part would require some Web hosting in all likelihood.

@imjustmike said:
    This isn't possible with GS alone, but is pretty easy. It has three parts.

Part 1. In GS use tweetsheet (or use the URL behaviour) to get the user to tweet a phrase.
    Part 2. You need a script to listen out for mentions on twitter (probably using a hashtag) and automatically reply with the codes.
    Part 3. Text input behaviour in GS that checks against a table with the codes. If it matches, unlock item.

The middle part would require some Web hosting in all likelihood.

Have you done it yourself? I would imagine that I would need a programmer to do this.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@ohtukrw said:
    Is it possible to implement this with tweet sheet?
    I have read that when iphone user press the button, with tweet sheet behaviour, it automatically tweets the message?

You can key-in whatever message you like, but the user can change it at whim. If they wanted to be mean and say something derogatory they could... and they would still get the bonus.

So you could unlock the item when the button is pressed?

Sure, but as @imjustmike says, you'd have no way of tracking who was Tweeting what. Unless your downloads went through the roof!

How about android users?

I guess it would work the same.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Have you done it yourself? I would imagine that I would need a programmer to do this.

It's not that hard. And there's a bunch of stuff out there to make it easy. Two words of warning - I'm pretty sure automating @ replies is against Twitter ToS. I imagine if you're doing it on a small scale they won't know/notice/care, but bear it in mind.

Secondly, since it's public, anyone could use the code. You might think, well, I'll just implement it so that once the code is used it can't be used again. But there's nothing to stop a player tweeting, going for dinner and coming back to find someone has used their code.

I've made a few scripts myself years ago. It wasn't too bad. There are loads of free scripts out there, just need a little tinkering to get it set up (get an api key from twitter, upload to server etc etc). There are also online services that pretty much do it all for you. I found this one on the first page of google (but I haven't used it and won't be able to answer any questions about it) http://www.labnol.org/internet/write-twitter-bot/27902/