Best specs for GS Viewer

blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

I tried all the work arounds (closing reopening..etc)
The Viewer won't load up any file and crash systematically on my new iPhone .
Seems like some of you are still able to use the viewer

For those who can still load projects in the viewer:
What mac OS, IOS versions etc do you guys have? especially El Capitan version.

Here are my specs: IOS 9.3.3 Mac Pro (Late 2013), 10.11.1 and of course : GameSalad 1.25.61 and GS viewer 1.25.50

Comments

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

me too I'd like to know

I agree with blob..
    BloB you are great!!!

@blob said:
    I agree with blob..
    BloB you are great!!!

thanks man, I like you too

@blob said:

@blob said:
    I agree with blob..
    BloB you are great!!!

Yes, me too i feel like we have a deep strange connection...

@blob said:

@blob said:

@blob said:
    I agree with blob..
    BloB you are great!!!

Yes, me too i feel like we have a deep strange connection...

TOTALLY!!:)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

I can't get anything other than very simple projects to load onto my iPhone, the viewer has been broken since the last update.

@Socks said:
    I can't get anything other than very simple projects to load onto my iPhone, the viewer has been broken since the last update.

Any idea when we could see an unbroken viewer again? @ForumNinja @CodeWizard
    there seem to be no mention of this in the "New Release 1.25.61 is Available" thread

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

I don't have a time frame on a fix for the Viewer yet sadly.

On the bright side, there's some work arounds you can use to load larger projects onto the iOS Viewer in the short term:

1. Inside the Viewer app, click the recent games button in the upper left. With this screen still open, try to preview the app as normal (this will cause the game to load fully into the recent games area). Once it's done, close the viewer and open it again / launch your project from the recent games section.

2. (Mac users only) You can manually install the iOS Viewer onto your device and then launch it via xcode. Interestingly enough this will cause it to not close when loading games.

I just tested for this issue on a device running iOS 10 (beta) and it didn't have any problems loading larger projects, so it's possible that this issue will resolve itself when the next iOS version comes out.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2016

The failure to load large projects seems to be at least sometimes caused by Apple sleeping the app/device due to inactivity before the game has actually loaded.

To prevent this, I had some success just tapping the phone's screen every 10 seconds or so, and even more success bringing up the little accessibility button you can enable in iOS and tapping that every so often.

@ForumNinja said:
    I just tested for this issue on a device running iOS 10 (beta) and it didn't have any problems loading larger projects, so it's possible that this issue will resolve itself when the next iOS version comes out.

Cheers for the update . . .

When you tested this on a device running iOS 10 (beta) was it an iPhone ? It only seems to be an issue with iPhones, all the people posting here refer to the issue being with their iPhone, it's the same for me, in testing iPads (tested: 3, Air2, mini) will transfer the project ok (although they have their own issues with orientation).

@ForumNinja said:

THANKS for the info. This hopefully does it!.

I 've been aware of the "click the recent games button" work around and was doing what
    @Armelline described too, tapping away... (although I haven't tried with the accessibility button).
    None of these worked for me.
    It is almost a miracle if i get the viewer icon on creator to pop up.
    Which goes back to my original question"

Some of us seem to have better luck than others...probably due to their iOS and mac os combos.
    What s yours @Armelline @Socks

mine is:
    IOS 9.3.3 Mac 10.11.1 iPhone6 success rate : 0%
    Should i update my ELcapitan?
    Thanks guys

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Socks I tested with an iPhone 6+

My hunch is that it doesn't happen on iPads due to the difference in processing power. Perhaps the iPads just load the projects faster, and thus don't run into the issue. That's just a guess though :D

@blob If the Viewer icon isn't popping up in GameSalad for you that sounds like a different issue. Make sure that both devices are connected to the same wifi network, and if you're still not seeing the icon you can try the steps in the second half of this Cookbook page: http://help.gamesalad.com/gamesalad-cookbook/testing/gamesalad-viewer/2-running-the-ios-viewer/

@ForumNinja
    Thanks you for the help.

Unfortunately it's not a wifi network or sharing issues as i sometime get the icon popping up on the creator hence "almost a miracle"... Usually after closing and opening GS about 20 times It will show up once.
    Then i usually get a random crash.
    However the viewer connect to wifi without a problem most of the time. It's just not showing up in the creator most times.

I think i read somewhere that others open and close creator/viewer many times too in order to get the viewer to pop up in the creator
    This may imply that there may be more than iPhone idle and orientation issues with our beloved viewer.
    I hope the viewer gets some love soon .

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I've haven't been able to get the viewer to load any large projects for awhile. I assumed it was because it is sending it over wifi and has a very low tolerance for dropped packets.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

edited July 2016

@ForumNinja said:
    On the bright side, there's some work arounds . . .

Thanks for that, method 1 worked for me ! At last I can preview on my iPhone !! :smile: Wahaaaaay !!