Full Screen Desktop Game?

KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

I don't have Pro to look at this so unsure. Is it possible to create a desktop game/app and have it display full screen? Preferably not an HTML game/app. A proper desktop one.

Contemplating a new project, one that would be pointless if you couldn't fill the whole screen and cover your desktop background and icons

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

If you mean native desktop exe , it is still not possible without creating a working html5 game and changing it to exe. I hope it comes soon , it is an important feature that most game engines provide, the mac full screen apps are amazing , great performance no loading time works great , so hopefully we will have the same for PC someday

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2016

Thanks, what about a Mac app? And if I did go the HTML route can it go full screen? It's an app/utility really so any HTML speed issues that might affect a game probably won't be a problem

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

If you compile an html project into an exe it can go fullscreen, yeah. But as @Icebox points out, it's not possible with GS yet, you need to use an additional tool. There are a couple on the first page of google but I've not used any of them so have no idea if they're good or not. Though I'm sure I've read some people on the forum have had success - hopefully they'll be reading and chime in.

When you both say exe are you referring to Windows only or are you also talking about Mac dmg files? I'm happy to look into wrapper files for HTML files if that's the only option for both Mac and Windows and they allow the user to go full screen on both.

Thanks for your answers so far.

Exe only work on Windows - currently GS doesn't export to exe so that's what the html wrapper work around is for.

GS does currently export to mac apps - I haven't actually tested to see if they go full screen, but I see no reason why they wouldn't.

Thanks and yeah I know exes are Windows only. I just wasn't sure if you were both grouping dmg and exes together in your answers.

I'm waiting for the support team to answer a question I've raised about upgrading mid way through an existing monthly subscription so may have a better idea once I've upgraded to Pro and look at the different publishing options and try them. At the moment I only see the GameSalad Arcade publishing option.

If it can go full screen on a Mac app then that's a promising start.

Let us know how it goes - you don't see too many people developing for desktop on these forums.

@imjustmike said:
    Let us know how it goes - you don't see too many people developing for desktop on these forums.

Will do. I was thinking about a desktop app that would specifically be used on large TV displays. I think I'd have a target audience of about 4 people in the world but that's probably two more than my last projects :)

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

@KevinCross Not only can you make a Mac app full screen, but it also looks and runs amazingly. Just publish a Mac app and run it on your Mac in full screen mode and you will be amazed!

edited July 2016

@viking said:
    @KevinCross Not only can you make a Mac app full screen, but it also looks and runs amazingly. Just publish a Mac app and run it on your Mac in full screen mode and you will be amazed!

Thanks. I upgraded to Pro today and while on my work PC I noticed that you can publish to Mac as full screen. I also quickly tested an HTML export and viewed it full screen which looked fine. Haven't tried wrapping it to create an executable file yet. I also haven't viewed them on a TV yet. But I'm happy it looks like it can do what I want