Could someone make a video showing how to do this?

PixelateddaddyPixelateddaddy Member Posts: 20

How to make a stationary Turret enemy that shoots bullets in different directions but 5arhets player when player gets close enough.

Please I can't find anything showing g how to do this and I'd be will8ng to tip you via PayPal lol

Comments

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387
    edited July 2016

I think he's saying TARGETS for 5arhets

I was going to post the link to the other forum thread but I realized its you there too...
    Sorry a video is a lot of time, but if I get free I'd do it for pay. I'll let you know.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/92712/how-would-you-do-this#latest

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

Having attempted something similar to this in the past I think I should probably mention that if you're working on a Tower Defense game then it gets really complicated when you have multiple towers targeting multiple enemies. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not easy. There is a Tower Defense template on the template store but as soon as you look at it you'll see that it's flawed in the way it's set up and is no good for a proper Tower Defense game. If you're not working on this type of game and won't have multiple turrets targeting different enemies at the same time then ignore me.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    edited July 2016

@KevinCross said:
    Having attempted something similar to this in the past I think I should probably mention that if you're working on a Tower Defense game then it gets really complicated when you have multiple towers targeting multiple enemies. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not easy. There is a Tower Defense template on the template store but as soon as you look at it you'll see that it's flawed in the way it's set up and is no good for a proper Tower Defense game. If you're not working on this type of game and won't have multiple turrets targeting different enemies at the same time then ignore me.

+1.

I had started a template for this type of thing some time ago and have since put it on hold as it gets really over blown and complex quickly. As @KevinCross says its not impossible, but it can get out of hand fast. I'm not sure I'll ever complete the template since it would be so complex to work with for someone who doesn't already have deep knowledge of GS, and of course if you have that deep knowledge you wouldn't need the template. :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@jamie_c said:
    +1.

I had started a template for this type of thing some time ago and have since put it on hold as it gets really over blown and complex quickly. As @KevinCross says its not impossible, but it can get out of hand fast. I'm not sure I'll ever complete the template since it would be so complex to work with for someone who doesn't already have deep knowledge of GS, and of course if you have that deep knowledge you wouldn't need the template. :)

+1.

This was my exact experience making a tower defense template. I got to the point where I went "There is no way anybody will be able to download this template and easily use it. This is a waste of everyone's time."

The tower defense templates available currently are not even close to what people think of as actual tower defense games, and GameSalad really isn't well suited to that type of game. It wouldn't be that hard (feature wise) for GameSalad to become ideal for this type of game, but the under the hood work involved for GameSalad would probably be highly prohibitive.

• PixelateddaddyPixelateddaddy Member Posts: 20

It's just for a 2d platformer games and what I'm rendering to is like the piranha plants in mario shooting at player

• PixelateddaddyPixelateddaddy Member Posts: 20

@Armelline said:

@jamie_c said:
    +1.

+1.

This was my exact experience making a tower defense template. I got to the point where I went "There is no way anybody will be able to download this template and easily use it. This is a waste of everyone's time."

The tower defense templates available currently are not even close to what people think of as actual tower defense games, and GameSalad really isn't well suited to that type of game. It wouldn't be that hard (feature wise) for GameSalad to become ideal for this type of game, but the under the hood work involved for GameSalad would probably be highly prohibitive.

I'm just wanting to make a cannon similar to the plants in mario games that shoot at the player. 2d platformer

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@Pixelateddaddy said:

@Armelline said:

@jamie_c said:
    +1.

+1.

I'm just wanting to make a cannon similar to the plants in mario games that shoot at the player. 2d platformer

Ok cool that's a lot simpler as its just the one target that a single cannon or multiple cannons might shoot at.

Basically you want to constrain the players x and y position in game attributes and when the player collides with an invisible detection actor (a large circle/square actor centred on the cannon) shoot towards the x and y position of the player which you can access in those game attributes.

I know you wanted a video but that's the basics of it.

You will want to constrain the detection actor to the cannon and link the two. There's an demo on the forum which shows how to constrain and connect life bars to each enemy on the screen. The principle behind that is exactly the same. Search for enemy life bars and you should hopefully find it.

You need that connection so you know which cannon needs to fire when the player moves on to a detection actor.

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387
    edited July 2016

Oh ok Mario piranha plant is easier

Did you even try my answer from the other one you posted: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/92712/how-would-you-do-this#latest

But yea look for Kevin's too