Short Mini game Coming Soon

IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Hello , I started this game yesterday , i want to make a small mini game for fun , I still don't know what to call it , i finished 6 levels so far and 6 more to go I will probably finish it in 2 days , here is one of the levels , the triangle keeps going right and left , you touch the screen to slow it down and the objective is to avoid all obstacles. Any feedback would be appreciated, is it too easy or too difficult ? .

Gameplay

Comments

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

I think it's really cool!

I wouldn't say its even close to being too easy. You had some really close calls there, and it's clear you've been play testing it a bit. I suspect it may be too hard.

The reason I say that is because it looks like you not only have to pass each obstacle, but you have to pass it in such a way that sets you up well for the next obstacle, too. Have you let brand new players give it a go?

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@Adrenaline said:
    The reason I say that is because it looks like you not only have to pass each obstacle, but you have to pass it in such a way that sets you up well for the next obstacle, too. Have you let brand new players give it a go?

Hey , thanks for the feedback ! I just made it yesterday i didnt have the chance to show it to anyone yet, except for my brother. It was hard for him. But im worried cause i want to make it challenging and its easy for me to pass the levels , maybe cause im the developer. I didnt make this type of game before so i dont know how easy/hard it should be.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Music is great.
    I thought barriers colour was muted but then they started to flash. Start with them flashing?

I wonder if more neon colour palette would add pop?

I'm thinking space. Star obstacles. Asteroid like things.

Pickup point bonuses?

Name ideas. Space shuffle. Pendulum panic.
    Raining trouble. Space frogger. Hold your breathe. Panic play punish. Shifting priorities.
    Jumping jet.

edited July 2016

@Tuque Thanks alot, your right the colour is muted , and i should add pick up point bonuses :) .

@Icebox said:

@Adrenaline said:

Hey , thanks for the feedback ! I just made it yesterday i didnt have the chance to show it to anyone yet, except for my brother. It was hard for him. But im worried cause i want to make it challenging and its easy for me to pass the levels , maybe cause im the developer. I didnt make this type of game before so i dont know how easy/hard it should be.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I made a game similar to this (not in style, but in mechanics and difficulty), and I struggled with the challenge curve because I got really good at it while developing it - but everyone else kept getting clobbered at the very beginning! That's the main reason for my concern for you on this one.

What if - and this could be an awful idea that you want no part of, I won't take offense - but what if you added in one more player-controlled mechanic. Let the player slide their finger up or down just a little bit to maneuver the ship's vertical position slightly.

This would allow the player another avenue for success if they get themselves in sticky situations. Without this extra option, I can see a player getting themselves into an unwinnable spot. But if you let them slide up/down a bit maybe they can juuuuust barely squeeze through with some fancy flying.

An added bonus is that this extra maneuvering will take place while the ship is moving slower (because they're already touching the screen and activating the slow-down), so it'll seem like some cool slow-mo ship acrobatics!

Really nice stuff there.

Difficulty is always subjective. If its too hard certain players will just never play again. Some players love tough games. Maybe a happy medium is easy for the first four or five then ramp up difficulty quick.

Self judging this is impossible. As soon as you play it a few times your judgement is biased to a sense of its easier than it is.

@Adrenaline This isnt a bad idea i like it but i wanted the mechanic to be only touch for simplicity , but i like it , i'll let my friends test later on if they say its hard ill add this mechanic , thanks for the suggestion appreciate it !

@Tuque said:
    Really nice stuff there.

Difficulty is always subjective. If its too hard certain players will just never play again. Some players love tough games. Maybe a happy medium is easy for the first four or five then ramp up difficulty quick.

Self judging this is impossible. As soon as you play it a few times your judgement is biased to a sense of its easier than it is.

Well said

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looks great and sounds great, and it's a great idea for the main mechanic (always moving - touch to slow down).

I agree it looks super hard, but that may well be a good thing.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

I think it looks cool!

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

Think it looks hard but in a good way. Well done putting this together in one day :)

Thank you all , I just gave it to couple of testers they couldnt handle the first levels , so ill make it much easier :) thanks everyone for your feedback

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited July 2016

@Icebox said:
    . . . I just gave it to couple of testers they couldnt handle the first levels , so ill make it much easier . . .

Imagine if the guy who made something like SuperHexagon or FlappyBird (or any other manic / difficult / fast game) listened to his friends who said it was too hard ! :)

@Socks said:
    Imagine if the guy who made something like SuperHexagon or FlappyBird (or any other manic / difficult / fast game) listened to his friends who said it was too hard ! :)

You have a good point , it depends who i target , although i know that it wont exceed 100 downloads like my other game lol :) now you got me thinking again

• phamtasticphamtastic Member, PRO Posts: 354
  • Glass FrogGlass Frog Member, PRO Posts: 136

Looks great :)

My Website: http://bit.ly/2c0ohmM
    My Apps on Google Play: http://bit.ly/2cccMIy
    My Apps on Apple App Store: http://apple.co/2bUSd0i

edited July 2016

I finally finished and submit to apple , it took me about 5 days to finish , hopefully it wont get rejected :) Here is some gameplay from level 7 , the game consist of 15 levels , its challenging but not impossible. I had to get rid of particle effects cause of performance issues on ipad/old android devices, it made the game run slow.

Cool.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited July 2016

nice, i like the chilled/friendly atmosphere you created here
    looks like a fun game will play it as soon its out wish you luck with the submission process, they are quite fast right now

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Wow, looking good! I'll be sure to download when it's released! This looks like a good one!