How to get the exact Super Mario movements?

Game FactoryGame Factory Member Posts: 34

So I'm trying to make a platformer similar to Super Mario. I've watched the tutorials from Jamie Cross but It's not what I'm looking for. I've also tried lots of different ways to move with different behaviors in GS but I cant get it right. There is always something not working how I want it to. Instead of trying to explain exactly what I'm wanting I figured I'd just ask if anyone knows how to get the exact SMB movement (left, right & jump) and then I can work from there. I'm going to have on screen buttons (left, right & jump arrows). I want the player to have to hold left or right to move in that direction but I want the jump to just be a tap. The biggest problem I'm having is the jump has to be held or it will go straight down instead of finishing the arch if you let go. I think that will be annoying to users. Hope I explained it well. Thanks!

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

What is it that you want that is not available in jamie's tutorials ? he does the smb movement quite well :) and there are no jumping issues in his tutorials , watch it again you might have missed something

• Game FactoryGame Factory Member Posts: 34

@Icebox In his tutorials he has it to where you hold the jump button. and if you let go during the jump it goes straight down. I feel like having to hold it down would get annoying to users. And if you accidentally let go you fall straight down. I want the jump to just be tapping the jump instead of holding it down

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

@Game Factory said:
    @Icebox In his tutorials he has it to where you hold the jump button. and if you let go during the jump it goes straight down. I feel like having to hold it down would get annoying to users. And if you accidentally let go you fall straight down. I want the jump to just be tapping the jump instead of holding it down

Isn't this what you want ? minute 12:23 , he does it by tapping once

• Game FactoryGame Factory Member Posts: 34

@Icebox I followed that tutorial. He taps it to jump when hes standing still. but when he is jumping at an arch he has to hold it down and if he lets go during the jump it falls straight down. I want the jump to just be a tap not a hold down. For example if I'm standing still and tap the jump i want it to go straight up, if I'm moving right and tap the jump I want it to go right at an arch just by tapping and same with left. I dont want my users to have to hold it down the entire jump or else fall straight down. that will get annoying for them. It got annoying to me just after a minute of testing