My project is 420MB !!

3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I just realised I'm dealing with an extremely big file.
Is this normal?
What are the sizes of your projects?
Should I start working on shrinking my project's size?
Will I face any issues when uploading my APK?

Comments

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

That is extremely big. Start cutting it down by cutting image sizes and audio file sizes

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

lol yes you will have some issues, because 1 it will take forever and 2 there is a limit. My files are all around 50MB, but I have uploaded once with like 90MB.

Images and music are probably your issue. Resize the issues using whatever program, and then convert your music to MP3 at a lower bit rate to save space (you can do this online and it sounds the same as long as you don't go TOO low)

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

@NNterprises said:
    lol yes you will have some issues, because 1 it will take forever and 2 there is a limit. My files are all around 50MB, but I have uploaded once with like 90MB.

What if I wanted to make a game that was 2GB (the current limit for a game on Android)
    How can I make a 2GB game work with only 50MB APK

Well if that's the limit then you're good.

I know over 150MB amazon requires an SFTB binary file apk. Not sure what that is but never needed to look into that.

Not sure what the Android Expansion pack for apk if it is over 100MB is that they're talking about in http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2015/09/support-for-100mb-apks-on-google-play.html

Also when publishing to Apple they don't allow a lot, I got rejected before it may be 100MB but anything usually shows up with an error message saying "too large to identify, continue?"

If you want to make a 2GB game go right ahead, but not sure what the expansion packs or SFTBs are or if Gamesalad supports it. Also it might not run as well since I'm not sure if GS is made for that size of a game. And not sure if people want to download 2GB worth of game onto their phones, but I'm not that hard core so idk.

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

@abuabed84 said:

@NNterprises said:

What if I wanted to make a game that was 2GB (the current limit for a game on Android)
    How can I make a 2GB game work with only 50MB APK

Why would you want the size of the game to increase? It can only damage performance speeds and such

Why would you want the size of the game to increase? It can only damage performance speeds and such

I don't need 2GB
    I'm trying to make my game as small as possible,
    but I don't think I can go lower than 200MB

I don't know what to do.
    I've been working 18 months on my game

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Apple allows up to 2GB, they only limit over the air downloads to 100mb.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

2GB is fine. My current project is approaching 2GB and runs pretty smoothly and the creator seems to handle it OK.

However as GS doesnt support expansion files for android, 2GB will not work through the Google Play Store. You can still publish to Amazon app store and any other android app store without that limit. Amazon just requires it to be sent over SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) which isnt too hard to set up.

All other platforms should be fine as well (except HTML5 might struggle if the project is too big and just not work).

Follow us: Twitter - Website

Guys this is the size of my Gamesalad file.
    That doesn't necessarily mean that the game is as big does it?

All other platforms should be fine as well (except HTML5 might struggle if the project is too big and just not work).

Including Apple??

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited July 2016

@abuabed84 said:

Including Apple??

Yes iOS max is 4GB now. Mac OSX, I believe is the same.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

I just removed all sound and images from my game and saved it to see how much it's taking from the project size.
    I'm still left with 368.8MB!!!!

That means all sound and images only took around 50MB of the project file.
    where is the rest???

I'm confused

I can't imagine the coding taking 80% of the project size.
    Will my game size shrink once I publish it into an APK?

Making it into apk usually enlarges it, but idk I'm lost with that file size with no images...lol

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Have you looked at your screen shots folder just to make sure there aren't a bunch of images there?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@abuabed84 said:
    I just removed all sound and images from my game and saved it to see how much it's taking from the project size.
    I'm still left with 368.8MB!!!!

That means all sound and images only took around 50MB of the project file.
    where is the rest???

I'm confused

Something is wonky. Straight code is not very much. A game without images or sound should be small.

Do you have incremental saved projects?
    Can you check the game at two months and compare? 6 months etc?

Is this 368 mb tested on a device adhoc? What does settings on phone say its size is?

@BazookaTime said:
    Have you looked at your screen shots folder just to make sure there aren't a bunch of images there?

I found the problem after inspecting the package contents.

It seems all the images I ever used in the game were still there in the package contents folder.
    Not only that, but each image and sound file was saved 30 to 40 times in the images and sounds folder.
    I don't know why this is happening.