Does Gamesalad automatically convert WAV to OGG?

3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I added some WAV music to my game without first converting it to OGG.
I want to know if Gamesalad convert WAV to OGG before it adds the music to its library because my game project is extremely big right now (Over 400MB)
and if it does what is the bitrate of this converted OGG??
Because I don't think I need anything above 96Kbps

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited July 2016

@abuabed84 said:
    I added some WAV music to my game without first converting it to OGG.

'Music' is not converted to OGG, 'music' is converted to m4a.

@abuabed84 said:
    I want to know if Gamesalad convert WAV to OGG before it adds the music to its library . .

If you choose 'Music' the WAV will be converted to a m4a file.
    If you choose 'Sound' the WAV will be converted to an OGG file.

@abuabed84 said:
    and if it does what is the bitrate of this converted OGG??

GS converted OGG files = 44.1kHz Stereo @ 160kbps
    GS converted m4a files = 44.1kHz Stereo @ 128kbps

. . . . . . .

I use the Media Human Converter for preparing sounds, it's free for Mac and PC:

http://www.mediahuman.com

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

GS converted OGG files = 44.1kHz Stereo @ 160kbps
    GS converted m4a files = 44.1kHz Stereo @ 128kbps

Excellent, thanks.
    If I drag and drop a lower bitrate file will it convert that to the default 128 and 160 kbps?
    Or will my lower bitrate music and sound effects be played at the compressed bitrate I used?

edited July 2016

@abuabed84 said:
    If I drag and drop a lower bitrate file will it convert that to the default 128 and 160 kbps?

If your file is already an OGG or a m4a then GameSalad will not put it through its own conversion process.

So . . . if you have a 32kbps OGG and your drag it into GS, you will end up with a 32kbps OGG.

This is also true of sample rate, bit depth and channel count as well as the bit rate, so - for example - you could make a 12bit mono, 32kHz @ 48kbps OGG file and GS will honour those settings when you drag your file into GS.

Remember OGGs will be treated as 'sound', m4a's will be treated as 'music'.

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

This is also true of sample rate, bit depth and channel count as well as the bit rate, so - for example - you could make a 12bit mono, 32kHz @ 48kbps OGG file and GS will honour those settings when you drag your file into GS.

Will compression affect game's performace for better/worse?
    I read somewhere that lower bitrate music is more CPU intensive.

edited July 2016

@abuabed84 said:
    Will compression affect game's performace for better/worse?

With 'sound' I doubt it'll have any noticeable effect . . . but if anything it would - of course - place a higher strain on the device as it needs to be decompressed, but without knowing all the details (maybe 'sound' is decompressed, held in RAM in the native audio format ?) it's hard to say, a simple test should tell you . . . spawn 100 actors playing the same looped sound, repeat with a lower quality audio file, see which effects the frame rate.

As for 'music', that's not loaded into RAM, nor has any tangible effect on the processor as it is handed by dedicated hardware on the device.