In game tutorials - How to

Hi folks,
How are ya'll creating tutorials? Are you creating dummy scenes with limited functions for using animations? Or something else altogether? First time I felt the needed to add them but not sure of implementation.

Comments

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

I create a scene called Loading/Tutorial.

Rule: Press PLAY BUTTON and tutorial is TRUE (because you can turn tutorial off)

In one game Bizarre Blocks (if you want to check it - http://www.nnterprises.com/bizarre-blocks)
    It has a "dummy scene" with text on the bottom, then after like 6 seconds change scene to GAME

Bizarre Blocks is very simple though so doesn't need much

Another game Money Marathon (http://www.nnterprises.com/money-marathon) has Load1, Load2, and Load3 scenes. When tutorial is on it goes to load1 before the game and it shows basic controls with images. After 3 seconds or if the player taps, it goes to load2 which shows powerups, then changes to load3 which shows some enemies. So it kind of just shows pictures with texts.

This is all if the tutorial is enabled of course

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

Depends how you want to do it. I've used two different ways in my games.

The first, for simple games I use a series of images that the user has to swipe past. The images are overlayed on top of the scene and are controlled by an attribute. If game.tutorial = 0, show tutorial. Increase it by 1 each time the user swipes through, and when it's 4 (or however many tutorials you want to show), start the game.

The other way is building it into a game, works especially well for platformers. I use 'signposts' in game, and when the user's character moves in front of one, a dialogue box pops up - this is easily controlled by collide rules to trigger opacity of the tutorial - the tutorials are again controlled by game.tutorial, and each signpost on the scene has a self.tutorial too. When game.tutorial matches self.tutorial, change opacity to 1, else change to 0.

There are loads of different techniques but those two cover 90% of the types of tutorial I've seen.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

thanks yall!