Where can I find the actor's dpi?

I hear that actor's should be at least 72dpi.
Question is, how to find that info about that actor?

Comments

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Gamesalad will convert Images to 72dpi when you import them. No matter what dpi the images are before importing..

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

You can doubleclick the image in the GS libruary. It will open in Macs preview app. Then press option+i to view the details of the image.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2016

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    Gamesalad will convert Images to 72dpi when you import them. No matter what dpi the images are before importing..

This is not correct ! GameSalad doesn't alter the resolution of an image when they are imported, they are left with whatever settings you gave them (although I think you've got a great idea there, it would be good if GameSalad implemented this), so a 300ppi image will still be 300ppi and a 20ppi image will still be 20ppi . . . etc.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited August 2016

@abuabed84 said:
    I hear that actor's should be at least 72dpi.

The ppi of an image is simply a little piece of metadata that tells the receiving software (in this case GameSalad) at what size the image should be displayed, the ppi has no effect on the image quality.

For example a 1024 x 768 pixel image at 72ppi is identical to a 1024 x 768 pixel image at 300ppi or a 1024 x 768 pixel image at 3,000,000ppi or even a 1024 x 768 pixel image at 0.0001ppi . . . etc etc.

They are all 1024 x 768 pixels. If you have a 1024 x 768 pixel actor and you first apply a 72ppi version of the image and then you delete that and apply a 4,900ppi version of the same image, there will be no difference, again because they are both 1024 x 768 pixels.

Where the ppi does have an effect in GameSalad is when making an actor directly from an image (dragging an image from the desktop in the Actors pane or dragging an image from the Image pane into the Actors pane) - in this scenario GameSalad hasn't got an actor already made to receive the image, so needs to guess at what size you want your actor to be, it uses the ppi of the image to determine the actor size.

So let's say you have two images, both are 2048 x 1536 pixels, one is set at 72ppi, the other is set at 144ppi.

If you drag the 72ppi image into the Actors pane it will give you a 2048 x 1536 pixel actor.

If you drag the 144ppi image into the Actors pane it will give you a 1024 x 768 pixel actor.

But both actors have the identical amount of image resolution (2048 x 1536 pixels), so if you change the size of the second actor from 1024 x 768 pixels to 2048 x 1536 pixels it will be identical to the first actor.

So basically the ppi setting is ultimately not that important, it's just a quick way of sizing an actor to fit the image.